DO EM residency- board certification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shortbread9

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a DO graduates from a DO EM residency is there any possibility that one can sit for the MD board certification? only asking b/c i am wondering if being DO board certified can make finding a job post residency difficult?

Members don't see this ad.

If a DO graduates from a DO EM residency is there any possibility that one can sit for the MD board certification? only asking b/c i am wondering if being DO board certified can make finding a job post residency difficult?
yes, if one completes an md residency as a do one can take the md em boards. there is also a specialty board in em for those who attend do em residencies.
I work with lots of em docs who are do's and none of them had problems finding a job.

yes, if one completes an md residency as a do one can take the md em boards. there is also a specialty board in em for those who attend do em residencies.
I work with lots of em docs who are do's and none of them had problems finding a job.

Umm...the question was a DO doing a DO EM residency.

The answer, though, is as emedpa said: there is an ACOEP ("American College of Osteopathic Emergency Physicians") and an AOBEM (American Osteopathic Board of Emergency Medicine) that gets you board-certified as a DO-educated Emergency Physician.

Umm...the question was a DO doing a DO EM residency.

The answer, though, is as emedpa said: there is an ACOEP ("American College of Osteopathic Emergency Physicians") and an AOBEM http://www.aobem.org/ (American Osteophathic Board of Emergency Medicine) that gets you board-certified as a DO-educated Emergency Physician.

woops-misread the question(sorry)
also do em docs( do trained) are eligible to join acep or acoep or both.