• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

Do engineering classes count as BCPM?

Do engineering classes count as BCPM?

I've heard it both ways and am wondering which it is? Those of you who just applied ... were they counted or not?
It significantly changes my GPA if included (for the better acutally!).

About the Ads

ICCONFETTI

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
No engineering courses DO NOT count as bcpm. They were not included, nor should they be included in the amcas.

also contrary to the above post, amcas does not change it for you. They have a separate category for engineering I believe.

Bioengineering and biomedical engineering classes do not count.
I took physiology (which is considered biomedical engineering at my school), and it was not counted in my total BCPM.

Trust me, if my engineering classes were counted in my BCPM, my BCPM would be much much lower.

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yes, they are BCPM classes. If you don't check them as BCPM on your AMCAS, they'll change them for you.

That's not true. In fact, I've heard folks who tried passing ENG classes as BCPM and got it changed. BME classes are easier to pass off, but not all of them either. It all depends how well you did ;)

CptCrunch

15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
That's not true. In fact, I've heard folks who tried passing ENG classes as BCPM and got it changed. BME classes are easier to pass off, but not all of them either. It all depends how well you did ;)

Yeah, I passed off my Thermo course as Chem and my Physiology as Bio. Both were instructed by the BME dept.

Other question...

Since A+ get counted as A's on AMCAS... when (if ever) do med schools see my GPA with those factored in? Or did I totally waste my time by getting those grades in several classes?

Hassler

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
No engineering courses DO NOT count as bcpm. They were not included, nor should they be included in the amcas.

also contrary to the above post, amcas does not change it for you. They have a separate category for engineering I believe.

Bioengineering and biomedical engineering classes do not count.
I took physiology (which is considered biomedical engineering at my school), and it was not counted in my total BCPM.

Trust me, if my engineering classes were counted in my BCPM, my BCPM would be much much lower.

Actually, it is really up to you. I counted physiology and molecular bioeng from the bioeng dept as BCMP last year. For these courses, it is up to you to classify it as BCMP or not based on course content. If AMCAS does not agree, it will change it for you.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Other question...

Since A+ get counted as A's on AMCAS... when (if ever) do med schools see my GPA with those factored in? Or did I totally waste my time by getting those grades in several classes?

They do see what is written on your transcript in terms of the grade received since you input it, however they likely won't look at it anyway. Schools will also see your transcript before you start in the fall after matriculation.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.