Do Essay writing services help you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone has tried these - like Essayedge or Ivyedge or others? did this actually help you. I'm a decent writer and know what I want to say, but am wondering if this will help...

any experience?

Members don't see this ad.

id say no.

whats better is if you wrote what you wanted to say...work on it...and then have sdn readers who have been accepted to med school look it over and critique...

there have been many threads about this and also a list of the 2004 sdn essay readers should be found there as well.

NO, NO, NO, NO. In my opinion, these "services" are unethical. Having someone else write your essay is like lying on your experiences. I admit I read through a bunch of examples to get some ideas, but I think a lot of them were cliche and full of puns.
"Being in the drum line didn't seem so off-beat to me!" *buh-dump-dump-chhhhhh*

Members don't see this ad :)
My best arguement against using an essay service:

One of my most harrowing interview moments was during my blind interview at everyone's favorite blind-interviewing UC:

We had been talking for a very long time, I reiterated the vast majority of everything I've ever done, thought, and considered in my entire life. When the interviewer asked me:

"Now, are you SURE that when I go back and read your application it's going to reflect everything you've told me, and the person I've met today?"

For whatever reason I didn't expect this question (had never heard of SDN at the time), and it totally caught me off guard. And I'm certain that I would have totally crumbled had I had some professional re-write my essay for me. However, having plugged through my essay by myself, with proofreading by friends and family, I was able to confidently tell him that I didn't think he'd be in any way surprised by my wishy-washy GPA, the typo in the second paragraph of my personal statement, or my fairly pansy explanations of some of my extracurriculars.

Trust your ability to write, they really just want to get to know you, not you filtered down through some fancy metaphors.

are you still in school? do you know a good english/lit prof who would be willing to go through it with you?

i had a service (essayedge) proofread my statement (no, they did not write it for me) and although i found some comments useful and they helped me tighten it up a bit i was very disappointed overall. they charge way too much and the essay they returned to me had typos and spelling errors that weren't in the original! that was damn annoying, i'll tell you.

i'm working on scholarship essays right now and there's no way in hell i'm sending them my stuff again. i found a medical editor i work with (and whose opinion i trust) to do some line and conceptual editing for me and i ran it by a old college professor of mine (damn, this makes me sound old!) who gave me some good pointers too.

there are rumors of people finding help from those services, but i think unless you have absolutely no one else you can get to read it for you, run screaming from those greedy bastards.

and as jlee says--you've always got us!! combine that with a fancy spell-checker and you'll get in for sure
:D

-------
this message has been edited. please PM me if you note any spelling or grammatical errors ;)

I've used essayedge. The problem with them is that they are inconsistent. Not every editor there is good. They did help me. I wrote my own essay, but it was nice to have someone smooth it out. The guy that I got has done lots of medical school essays. He was solid, but a friend of mine had a different editor and it wasn't good at all.

So, it's a chance. If you use essayedge request Mr. Peacock. I don't remember his first name. But he's talented, honest.
I've used him three times.

if you like to give people your money, then yea they might help

I agree that using essay writing srvices is kinda unethical. I recommend using free academic research data and papers from essay banks instead of spending money on self cheating.

I agree that using essay writing srvices is kinda unethical. I recommend using free academic research data and papers from essay banks instead of spending money on self cheating.
Nice necrobump lol. But this also seems unethical, when you have access to other people's work...
Just come up with you own ideas and then have people critique them like others have said!