Do Extra-cirrcu's Matter That Much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juniorcricketma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for the wise...

Do extra-cirruc's really matter that much?
Can they make up for a below average GPA/MCAT?

What kind of activities actually help? :confused:

Obviously research, clinical experience help, but what about Varsity Athletics, Student Council or starting your own company? Or are these things really just wastes of time and more focus should be given to academics?

THANKS!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.

No.

Obviously research, clinical experience help, but what about Varsity Athletics, Student Council or starting your own company? Or are these things really just wastes of time and more focus should be given to academics?

THANKS!!!

In general, good clinical experience, volunteer work/community service (even better if it is with the underserved), leadership experiences, research if it interests you, teaching/tutoring, activities that distinguish you from the crowd, activities that you have been very dedicated to through out the years, and things that demonstrate your character and that you have enjoyed (and have good stories to tell about). You are showing two things: your character and your suitability for medicine as a career.

How is your clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
poor at best....

I really made the decision to go to med school after suffering through a venture capital internship which made me realize how much more valuable a medical career would be..

poor at best....

I really made the decision to go to med school after suffering through a venture capital internship which made me realize how much more valuable a medical career would be..

I see. Do you have all your pre-reqs? I would start your clinical exposure asap, i.e. shadowing and volunteering.

poor at best....

SHADOW, SHADOW, SHADOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! With an FP, IM, Ortho, Anest....as many specialties as you can. Of course try to spend a good deal of time with one or two docs so you can get solid LOR's. Good luck!!

Varsity athletics is definitely a plus :thumbup:. You can apply what the qualities you have obtained as an athlete at the collegiate level in med. school.

DadAndPreDOinMO (I like the username btw!) is right. Shadowing is a great way to use your time, esp. since you need a LOR from a D.O. Plus you'll then really know if medicine is for you. Pick and choose what type of doctor you want to shadow because if you're not interested in say a Physiatrist but in OB/GYN, why on earth would you shadow a Physiatrist? Make a list of the different type of specialties that you are interested.

Varsity athletics is definitely a plus :thumbup:. You can apply what the qualities you have obtained as an athlete at the collegiate level in med. school.

DadAndPreDOinMO (I like the username btw!) is right. Shadowing is a great way to use your time, esp. since you need a LOR from a D.O. Plus you'll then really know if medicine is for you. Pick and choose what type of doctor you want to shadow because if you're not interested in say a Physiatrist but in OB/GYN, why on earth would you shadow a Physiatrist? Make a list of the different type of specialties that you are interested.

I definitely agree, however the reason that I said to shadow many different specialties is b/c some schools really like to see that you have taken the initiative to see different areas of medicine. An attempt to find an area that interests you while also ruling out some areas that are a disinterest. It also shows that you are open minded.
Also I participated in varsity athletics and the interviewer asked if/how that would help me as a student/physician. My interviewer liked it.

i first thought shadowing was a joke, but i have to say that i am learning so much from my family practice DO. Only why I thought that is that i already have tons of various clinical experience.

so, it all depends on who decide to shadow. luckily, the guy i am with is willing to teach and patients, who are willing to answer any of my health assessment questions. Not to mention, laugh at my stupid jokes.

I would be more worried about clinical experience than shadowing. You should do both, but the clinical experience (usually in the form of volunteering) I feel should take precedence.

there is no precedence. i think it is all about understanding osteopathic medicine. there is such a varied clinical education among classmates.

one thing that is common is they all were exposed to DO somehow. you could have met the guy at the mall and spurted your interest. they want to see that you know what you are getting into.

in end, i am always fascinated by the varied backgrounds among classmates. probably anything you could imagine will be done by someone in your future class.

I have spoken to a person who was formerly on the TCOM admissions committee and VARSITY ATHLETICS is HUGE....why??? b/c if you have the stats for med school AND you were doing varsity athletics...thats just plain impressive....but keep in mind...its NOT a replacement for poor stats....there is some kinda of formula that many adcoms use to screen out primary aps....its a combo of your GPA...MCAT and variable X this Variable X is usually one of 3 or 4 big things that they look for...are you a minority applicant...have you published in research...are u in varsity athletics....have u done something crazy like start up a new charity or written a book or something like that....of course other extracurriculars are added into the factor...BUT they do not weigh as heavily....so in short...

Extra curricculars count...BUT they are no substitute for poor stats...

I have a question for the wise...

THANKS!!!

Being an EMT/Paramedic (or something similar) can cause schools to quickly overlook stats....