DO-friendly Allopathic Ob/Gyn Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anosmia

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like some input from current residents on what allopathic programs are currently accepting DO students. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, I would too! I know that ETSU in Johnson City is D.O. friendly... I've heard that Greenville in SC and NC are both.
Where are you looking to apply? East, South, Northwest???

Members don't see this ad :)
Baystate/Tufts in Springfield, MA.

Just wondering...how do we know that Harbor is DO-friendly???

Carilion Clinic, Roanoke, VA is DO freindly

And, I would hesitate to call Harbor-UCLA DO "freindly"...

I interviewed there, and they clearly have a strong bias against internationals as well as DO's. Granted, I think there are one or two IMGs as well as a DO there, but I think that is less a result of the program being "freindly" to these groups than it is a result of the program being pretty poor, and they are taking what they can get....

I was told straight up by a high ranking faculty M.D. that there are several faculty that are strongly against both IMGs and D.O.

I hate to be involved in the "he said, she said", but this experience left a very sour taste in my mouth. In fact, I was po'd that they wasted my time with an invite, because clearly as an IMG I was a safety net for them. My advice is to be careful about this program, and be sure these are the people you want to surround yourself with for the next 4 years.

And, I would hesitate to call Harbor-UCLA DO "freindly"...

I interviewed there, and they clearly have a strong bias against internationals as well as DO's. Granted, I think there are one or two IMGs as well as a DO there, but I think that is less a result of the program being "freindly" to these groups than it is a result of the program being pretty poor, and they are taking what they can get....

I was told straight up by a high ranking faculty M.D. that there are several faculty that are strongly against both IMGs and D.O.

I hate to be involved in the "he said, she said", but this experience left a very sour taste in my mouth. In fact, I was po'd that they wasted my time with an invite, because clearly as an IMG I was a safety net for them. My advice is to be careful about this program, and be sure these are the people you want to surround yourself with for the next 4 years.

I am the lone DO at Harbor UCLA, and after reading the above post, I thought I would comment. I am sorry the poster had a bad experience with their interview, but I wanted to state that in the 4 months that I have been a resident at Harbor, I have not in any way felt a bias against DO's. The fact that I am a DO has NEVER been an issue here. I have also yet to hear any DO bashing or rumors that there is faculty on board that have a problem working with DO's. Also, for those applying, I did not take the USMLE, only the COMLEX. This was an issue for many places that I applied to, but Harbor never even questioned it. I don't feel that I have my spot because my program is poor and was "taking what they could get". On the contrary, Harbor is a very strong program with a great group of residents. My training as been excellent so far. I look forward to seeing all of you interviewing at Harbor, whether you are an MD, DO, or IMG. Good luck to all! :)

I am the lone DO at Harbor UCLA, and after reading the above post, I thought I would comment. I am sorry the poster had a bad experience with their interview, but I wanted to state that in the 4 months that I have been a resident at Harbor, I have not in any way felt a bias against DO's. The fact that I am a DO has NEVER been an issue here. I have also yet to hear any DO bashing or rumors that there is faculty on board that have a problem working with DO's. Also, for those applying, I did not take the USMLE, only the COMLEX. This was an issue for many places that I applied to, but Harbor never even questioned it. I don't feel that I have my spot because my program is poor and was "taking what they could get". On the contrary, Harbor is a very strong program with a great group of residents. My training as been excellent so far. I look forward to seeing all of you interviewing at Harbor, whether you are an MD, DO, or IMG. Good luck to all! :)

Thanks for your comments :) Good luck with the rest of your residency....I may well be back for a bit in June 08 :)