DO friendly allopathic residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giznut12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What programs are considered "DO friendly". I know PSU Hershey and Geisinger are. Can anyone add to this?

Members don't see this ad.

Boston Univ --- Orthopedics
The Chief Resident is a DO.

Univ of Southern California --- a handful of graduates from my school (COMP) went there for Anesthesiology; i know there is definitely a DO in the ER Dept (he gives lectures at our school) and there are quite a few FP residents who are DOs.

giznut12 said:
What programs are considered "DO friendly". I know PSU Hershey and Geisinger are. Can anyone add to this?

giznut12 said:

I wouldn't call PSU Hershey DO friendly. The NYCOM student who matched there was pretty damn sharp. I think they scored >90th percentile on both STEP 1 and 2 of the USMLE. I wouldn't call them DO friendly, that guy was just good!

Members don't see this ad :)
DOnut said:
I wouldn't call PSU Hershey DO friendly. The NYCOM student who matched there was pretty damn sharp. I think they scored >90th percentile on both STEP 1 and 2 of the USMLE. I wouldn't call them DO friendly, that guy was just good!

Then you need to re-define what you mean by "DO Friendly."

Does DO friendly mean will accept any DO applicant, regardless of their application? Or does DO friendly mean only accepts strong applicants?

My program has 3 DOs in it, and the three DOs are probably the strongest residents there with stellar applications/background. We got about 50-60 applications from DOs last year in our batch (of about 600).

I think the better question is...

"Which allopathic programs are all out DO-UNfriendly?"

...since DOs can potentially apply to all but are discouraged to do so at a few... :thumbdown: (i.e. does not accept DO students for away rotations)

take a look at psu hershey's resident list on their website. there are probably around 20-30 DO's in various specialities (including rads, anesth, ect.)

and yes, i meant solid applicants with excellent board scores.

Maimi jackson memorial is very DO UNFRIENDLY!!!

i called about maybe doing a rotation there for urology, the coordinator said they do not except DO's. She went on to tell me that they have never had an applicant score high enough to compete with all the MD applicants.
Ive heard this is happening over there for most of their fellowships too acoording to what i heard from some residents.

which is really very stupid seeing im doing one of my core surgery months at Mount Sinai in maimi along side the maimi students there.

their best trauma surgeon at Jackson is a DO..crazy

NEBELDO, i work at mount siani in miami in the ER , i was wondering if could be possible if you can get me in to see a surgery. IF not its cool, I just have never seen a surgery. But if you could e-mail at [email protected]. thanks

chris