DO friendly Infectious Disease Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mosonik

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any that are notoriously DO-friendly ACGME IM residencies that would likely offer a DO a good chance to match an ID fellowship or as long as I match to the IM residency will I have a good shot?

BTW, is there an updated ACGME IM programs list that shows DO friendly?

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any that are notoriously DO-friendly ACGME IM residencies that would likely offer a DO a good chance to match an ID fellowship or as long as I match to the IM residency will I have a good shot?

I'm also interested in ACGME ID. I have absolutely no knowledge of this other than what I've heard others say, but the general sentiment on here seems to be that ID is not particularly competitive and it shouldn't be too big of a deal to get an ID fellowship as a DO.

I'm also interested in ACGME ID. I have absolutely no knowledge of this other than what I've heard others say, but the general sentiment on here seems to be that ID is not particularly competitive and it shouldn't be too big of a deal to get an ID fellowship as a DO.

That general sentiment is what I hear around rotations as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Probably most of them

An ID fellow (DO in ACGME program) once cited to me that something like 95-95% of people that apply to ID fellowships get a spot. I.e. not very competitive. Whereas more competitive fellowships (cards, GI, etc.) were down in the 50s-60s. I'd say that if you're interested, you'll be fine finding an ID spot. Not that that really answered your question about specific programs... :)

An ID fellow (DO in ACGME program) once cited to me that something like 95-95% of people that apply to ID fellowships get a spot. I.e. not very competitive. Whereas more competitive fellowships (cards, GI, etc.) were down in the 50s-60s. I'd say that if you're interested, you'll be fine finding an ID spot. Not that that really answered your question about specific programs... :)

Good to hear. My dream is to get into academic ID at a place like Stanford, but I kind of doubt those kinds of places are overly accepting of DOs. Still good to hear that it's not too competitive.

In general, Infectious Disease and Rheumatology are very noncompetitive Internal Medicine fellowships.

With that said, if you want to go to an upper tier program it may still be somewhat competitive.

As with every GME program, look at current and past fellows and faculty. That can give some guidance to whether they'll accept DOs. And don't short yourself. If you have a good application, pick a couple dream fellowships, a couple great ones you know accept DOs, etc. you never know. ID is a relatively small set of medicine. They may have not had any DO interest rather than being outright discriminatory.

As with every GME program, look at current and past fellows and faculty. That can give some guidance to whether they'll accept DOs. And don't short yourself. If you have a good application, pick a couple dream fellowships, a couple great ones you know accept DOs, etc. you never know. ID is a relatively small set of medicine. They may have not had any DO interest rather than being outright discriminatory.

I certainly hope this is the case. We will see how my application looks in a few years time but if I could pave the way for future DOs in a solid program it would be great to do

I know that this has been asked but if I am shooting for an IM ACGME residency --> ID ACGME fellowship I should bite the bullet and take the USMLE?

ID is only competitive in the big shot programs. Otherwise if you apply it is almost guaranteed you will get a spot( There have been unfilled spots in the match for the last 3 y).
If you make your application strong and show a genuine interest in ID( and don't love money), as a DO you have as good a shot as any into a top/great program.

Good luck, and let me tell you, it is a wonderful field, under appreciated now, but in high demand in years to come, with infections etc Nixing reimbursement, all hospitals will want an id on board, HIV is here to stay and multi drug resistant infections are very common, and will be more so with everybody using carbapenems as a first line therapy for everything.

I know that this has been asked but if I am shooting for an IM ACGME residency --> ID ACGME fellowship I should bite the bullet and take the USMLE?

Yes. yes. Absolutely yes. Although it isn't true for all programs, many (most?) like to see both Step 1 and Step 2 CK.

And for pete's sake, if you want to do ACGME ID just do an ACGME IM residency program. You don't even have to go to a super duper great one. It's ID - even the better programs will take people from community IM programs with perhaps a bit of research and good recs.

And for pete's sake, if you want to do ACGME ID just do an ACGME IM residency program. You don't even have to go to a super duper great one. It's ID - even the better programs will take people from community IM programs with perhaps a bit of research and good recs.

That was definitely the plan. Though at minimum, a dually accredited one

That was definitely the plan. Though at minimum, a dually accredited one

Why? Dual accredited IM residencies tend to be in lower-tier community hospitals with few fellowship opportunities. If you want ID, my recommendation would be to not waste your time with AOA postgraduate training and to get into the best ACGME program you can, preferably a good university program with an in-house ID fellowship program.

Why? Dual accredited IM residencies tend to be in lower-tier community hospitals with few fellowship opportunities. If you want ID, my recommendation would be to not waste your time with AOA postgraduate training and to get into the best ACGME program you can, preferably a good university program with an in-house ID fellowship program.

In saying that I was specifically referring to only one since it is on my radar for having a ID fellowship and in an area I wouldn't mind living in (Carilion- associated with VTech COM now). Though, you what say makes sense. Hopefully, I end up in a position to match to a strong university IM program.

If I could choose today it would probably be Wake Forest