DO GI Fellowship Cycle 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WonderBoy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here anything so far? I have looked thru the thread above but no DO programs listed.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone here anything so far? I have looked thru the thread above but no DO programs listed.
I'll get the ball rolling...
- Parkview Medical Center 9/14
- Bayonne Medical Center 9/22
- UNT/Medical City Plaza-Fort Worth 9/28

Rejections at Genesys and St. Johns. I have heard the former (and wouldn't be surprised if the latter) are simply taking internal candidates as many smaller programs do. What about you?

I'll get the ball rolling...
- Parkview Medical Center 9/14
- Bayonne Medical Center 9/22
- UNT/Medical City Plaza-Fort Worth 9/28

Rejections at Genesys and St. Johns. I have heard the former (and wouldn't be surprised if the latter) are simply taking internal candidates as many smaller programs do. What about you?

Are those dates you heard from them or interview dates?
I have rejection from Genesys and Parkview Interview at end of October.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dates heard from. Have you heard from any other DO programs?

Nothing else so far and doesn't seem people are either on here (plenty of view with no responses) or people just don't want to share.
I know a couple others have sent invites, people are hesitant because a place may very well only invite 5-10 for one or two positions and you cannot presume all 5 invites went out same day, this discourages someone to post they recieved 9/22/17 at xyz no matter how unlikely it is for their identity to be given up

I know a couple others have sent invites, people are hesitant because a place may very well only invite 5-10 for one or two positions and you cannot presume all 5 invites went out same day, this discourages someone to post they recieved 9/22/17 at xyz no matter how unlikely it is for their identity to be given up

Yes, I know what you are talking about. It's very competitive and pretty much everyone that gets an invite would make a good fellow. Kind of a crap shoot in the end. As more and more programs get ACGME, I wonder how it will affect the match process, will prefer DO over MD? only time will tell. But so far DO process is secretive and disorganized.

Valley health NV and mountain vista AZ sent IV

So question for osteopathic applicants. How does the timing of fellowship contracts work? I assume if you get an offer before the NRMP then you have to withdraw your ROL? What happens if you get offered a contract between the ROL deadline and the match?

So question for osteopathic applicants. How does the timing of fellowship contracts work? I assume if you get an offer before the NRMP then you have to withdraw your ROL? What happens if you get offered a contract between the ROL deadline and the match?

I would love to hear a good answer to this. I am interviewing at a few MD fellowships but majority are DO. I feel as though if offered a spot at DO fellowship prior to match one would be compelled to accept it unless he/she is interviewing at 10+ MD programs. Good point about if an offer comes in after you certify a ROL, are we able to pull out of it if offered a spot at a DO program between Nov 15th and Match Day. Perhaps, current DO GI Fellows who interviewed at both MD/DO Fellowships would be able to comment?

From Match Participation Agreement Document:

"2.3.3 Withdrawal Deadlines and Restrictions Applicants may not withdraw from the SMS after the applicable Rank Order List Certification Deadline. In addition, applicants shall not apply for, discuss, interview for, or accept a position that would run concurrent with positions offered in the SMS Match between the Rank Order List Certification Deadline and the release of Match Results."

So, I wonder if DO programs know this as all my interviews with DO programs are before ROL deadline or after Match day (pretty sure I did not have any options to interview between 11/15 and 12/6). Perhaps, all the DO programs that get their interviews done prior to ROL deadline will make their offers prior to the ROL deadline (allowing ppl to do Match if need be). Then, programs that have interviews from now and beyond Match Day, will make offers after Match/done with their interview season? Seems like wishful thinking somewhat for everyone to be on the same wavelength, but this must have come up in the past to not be out of the realm of possibilities.

Anyone heard from Rowan, Palisades, or Bayonne?