Sep 2, 2015
Hello! This is my first post on SDN and I'll try to keep this short.

I've lurked over these forums for a while now and I have a decent grasp on the rules regarding the DO grade replacement policy (similar course description, equivalent credits,...)

I recently graduated from UCLA and I had planned on retaking two science courses which I received a C grade in at another state university.

The two courses I wanted to retake are intro genetics and developmental biology. Where the problem arises is for some reason both these classes are 5 quarter units at UCLA while all the other UC/CSU schools offer the same courses for 4 quarter units.

Genetics and developmental biology should be very similar in coursework at all these.

This leaves State and CC schools as an option, which typically have 3 unit semester courses, which are again non-equivalent (3 Semester Units = 4.5 Quarter Units)

I don't know what to do now, is the only option to retake at UCLA? Or is it possible I could still retake at a different school like UC Riverside despite the quarter unit difference?

Thank you guys. Please ease the loadof confusion on me.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Hello! This is my first post on SDN and I'll try to keep this short.

I've lurked over these forums for a while now and I have a decent grasp on the rules regarding the DO grade replacement policy (similar course description, equivalent credits,...)

I recently graduated from UCLA and I had planned on retaking two science courses which I received a C grade in at another state university.

The two courses I wanted to retake are intro genetics and developmental biology. Where the problem arises is for some reason both these classes are 5 quarter units at UCLA while all the other UC/CSU schools offer the same courses for 4 quarter units.

Genetics and developmental biology should be very similar in coursework at all these.

This leaves State and CC schools as an option, which typically have 3 unit semester courses, which are again non-equivalent (3 Semester Units = 4.5 Quarter Units)

I don't know what to do now, is the only option to retake at UCLA? Or is it possible I could still retake at a different school like UC Riverside despite the quarter unit difference?

Thank you guys. Please ease the loadof confusion on me.
I'm sorry but i dont have an absolute answer to this. This year AACOMAS turned over application processing to a third party vendor and there rather a confusing implementation with this particular issue. It is supposed to equivalent courses in content so a general chem course in one school at quarters is equal to a general chem course at a semester unit school even if the units are not precisely equivalent. You are going to need to contact AACOMAS directly on this to inquire but I think until you submit for verification it wont be solved

OP
C
Sep 2, 2015
I'm sorry but i dont have an absolute answer to this. This year AACOMAS turned over application processing to a third party vendor and there rather a confusing implementation with this particular issue. It is supposed to equivalent courses in content so a general chem course in one school at quarters is equal to a general chem course at a semester unit school even if the units are not precisely equivalent. You are going to need to contact AACOMAS directly on this to inquire but I think until you submit for verification it wont be solved
Thank you for the help! I'm just trying to plan the classes I will take in the near future, and it would be a nightmare if I took the class and it didn't even Replace the grade.

I'll contact AACOMAS then. I just heard from others they never give people a straight answer but say use your best judgement lol

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Thank you for the help! I'm just trying to plan the classes I will take in the near future, and it would be a nightmare if I took the class and it didn't even Replace the grade.

I'll contact AACOMAS then. I just heard from others they never give people a straight answer but say use your best judgement lol
I will forward your question to my direct contact and see if i can get anything definative

OP
C
Sep 2, 2015
I called Aacomas and spoke with one of their representatives on the phone. I asked same question as stated in my original post, they said that the 5 quarter unit science class could be replaced by a 4 quarter unit science class or 3 semester unit course as long as same coursework. Even though the 3 semester units is converted to 4.5 quarter units, she said they don't check and it's all based on an "honor" policy by us.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I called Aacomas and spoke with one of their representatives on the phone. I asked same question as stated in my original post, they said that the 5 quarter unit science class could be replaced by a 4 quarter unit science class or 3 semester unit course as long as same coursework. Even though the 3 semester units is converted to 4.5 quarter units, she said they don't check and it's all based on an "honor" policy by us.
Thats the way its supposed to be