DO Grade Replacement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChocolateDrops93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post on SDN and I'll try to keep this short.

I've lurked over these forums for a while now and I have a decent grasp on the rules regarding the DO grade replacement policy (similar course description, equivalent credits,...)

I recently graduated from UCLA and I had planned on retaking two science courses which I received a C grade in at another state university.

The two courses I wanted to retake are intro genetics and developmental biology. Where the problem arises is for some reason both these classes are 5 quarter units at UCLA while all the other UC/CSU schools offer the same courses for 4 quarter units.

Genetics and developmental biology should be very similar in coursework at all these.

This leaves State and CC schools as an option, which typically have 3 unit semester courses, which are again non-equivalent (3 Semester Units = 4.5 Quarter Units)

I don't know what to do now, is the only option to retake at UCLA? Or is it possible I could still retake at a different school like UC Riverside despite the quarter unit difference?

Thank you guys. Please ease the loadof confusion on me.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry but i dont have an absolute answer to this. This year AACOMAS turned over application processing to a third party vendor and there rather a confusing implementation with this particular issue. It is supposed to equivalent courses in content so a general chem course in one school at quarters is equal to a general chem course at a semester unit school even if the units are not precisely equivalent. You are going to need to contact AACOMAS directly on this to inquire but I think until you submit for verification it wont be solved

Thank you for the help! I'm just trying to plan the classes I will take in the near future, and it would be a nightmare if I took the class and it didn't even Replace the grade.

I'll contact AACOMAS then. I just heard from others they never give people a straight answer but say use your best judgement lol

I called Aacomas and spoke with one of their representatives on the phone. I asked same question as stated in my original post, they said that the 5 quarter unit science class could be replaced by a 4 quarter unit science class or 3 semester unit course as long as same coursework. Even though the 3 semester units is converted to 4.5 quarter units, she said they don't check and it's all based on an "honor" policy by us.