Do grades matter after getting accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dartmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a really tough semester and I think this is probably the worst that I have done in college. I have been accepted to medical school, but I am wondering if I will face any trouble with the following grades:

Animal Diversity: B+
Organic Lab (procrastinated until now): A-
Graduate level Bio: B-, possible a C
Animal Behavior: A-
Poli Sci: A
Biochem Lab: A

These grades shouldn't affect me, right? I called my med school they don't have minimum cut-offs so far for the last semester. Just don't want to get my acceptance revoked. Lol.

Members don't see this ad.

The only way grades matter after you're accepted is if you bomb every single last one of your courses. And yes, I've heard of people getting their acceptances rescinded for that. You're fine though.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, good. I got super worried. I don't think this worry will disappear until I send in my final transcript and everything is dandy. Haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only way grades matter after you're accepted is if you bomb every single last one of your courses. And yes, I've heard of people getting their acceptances rescinded for that. You're fine though.
Yeah, you're fine. But for others out there with the same question, as the OP mentioned, some schools require minimum cut-offs for all of your grades prior to matriculation. For many, it's a C+. So a C could cause a problem. Always ensure you know your minimums before slacking, if at all. :)

I just found out that I am indeed getting a C in that stupid Bio class. Should I take a W??!! Or keep the grade as it is??

I just found out that I am indeed getting a C in that stupid Bio class. Should I take a W??!! Or keep the grade as it is??
Ouch, I'm sorry. Depending on your institution, I'd take the C. Since your school has no minimum cut offs, just go ahead and finish. I mean, you paid for it, right? More importantly, most schools specifically state that you must "pass each class listed on your future coursework with a grade of X or better." Since yours doesn't require a minimum grade, I'd imagine they at least want you to finish the coursework you listed/enrolled in. Just go ahead and pass the class. Be done with it and put it in your distant past, you know?

Hope this helps. GL :luck:

Ouch, I'm sorry. Depending on your institution, I'd take the C. Since your school has no minimum cut offs, just go ahead and finish. I mean, you paid for it, right? More importantly, most schools specifically state that you must "pass each class listed on your future coursework with a grade of X or better." Since yours doesn't require a minimum grade, I'd imagine they at least want you to finish the coursework you listed/enrolled in. Just go ahead and pass the class. Be done with it and put it in your distant past, you know?

Hope this helps. GL :luck:

That's kind of what I was thinking too but still freaking out!! I can't believe I am getting screwed over like this, but I double checked and triple checked everything and there is no cut-off. The only sad part is my GPA will drop to a 3.5. :(

That's kind of what I was thinking too but still freaking out!! I can't believe I am getting screwed over like this, but I double checked and triple checked everything and there is no cut-off. The only sad part is my GPA will drop to a 3.5. :(
You can always call to make sure and allay your fears. Don't worry, I had something similar happen to me during my last semester before applying. It's not the end of the world. No one will be looking at your GPA from undergrad when you're a med student, resident, fellow, or attending. :)

I did yesterday and they said it would be fine. I talked to one of my friends told me she had a C in Biochem when she applied and she still got in. That made me feel a little better as well.

Thank you. :)

I did yesterday and they said it would be fine. I talked to one of my friends told me she had a C in Biochem when she applied and she still got in. That made me feel a little better as well.

Thank you. :)
No prob bob. You're in. Reeeeeelaaaaax. ;)

You should get kicked out of med school if you have to ask about those grades...

I mean, do you need the class? If not, just drop it... Who cares? Do you lose graduation honors if you keep the class?

I need it to graduate. Lol. Otherwise, I would dropped it a while ago. But it's RIDICULOUS! There's no CURVE and it's a 6000-level cancer bio class

Members don't see this ad :)
And the sad part is everyone else is a like graduate student except us 10 undergrad develop. bio/gen. majors. ugh.

I need it to graduate. Lol. Otherwise, I would dropped it a while ago. But it's RIDICULOUS! There's no CURVE and it's a 6000-level cancer bio class

Ok, couple of things.

1. Why did you sign up for that!? Surely there are easier classes you could have taken...and in your senior year? That sucks.

2. Finish out in that case, not a big deal.

On a related note, if a school acceptance letter states:

"Students accepted to the SOM must maintain the scholastic standards achieved prior to acceptance. If your record changes considerably or you are unable to complete the specific requirements, you must notify this office in writing immediately."

How bad would it be getting accepted with ~3.8 and getting a 3.0 (straight Bs) on your final semester?

"Students accepted to the SOM must maintain the scholastic standards achieved prior to acceptance. If your record changes considerably or you are unable to complete the specific requirements, you must notify this office in writing immediately."

How bad would it be getting accepted with ~3.8 and getting a 3.0 (straight Bs) on your final semester?

Glad to see someone else is in my shoes. Hahaha.

But my med school just said finishing the academic program.

my mentor said it's highly unlikely for a med school to rescind an acceptance letter just because of the final semester. unless you really fail classes or do something stupid.

All of my courses were over 9000 level, but I guess we can't all be as powerful as I am.

:naughty:
:laugh:
Love that avatar! It's made even cooler by the fact that it's legit! LoL

Considering they're Bs, I doubt it'd cause an issue. In the grand scheme of things, depending on how many classes you've taken and how many classes you're currently taking, it shouldn't drastically affect your GPA. It'd probably drop it to a 3.66-3.70. I'd (1) shoot for B+s and (2) call the school and ask if a semester's worth of Bs would affect you since it is indeed different than your previous track record. Please let us know what they said; I'm curious. :) :luck:

OH NOOOOO!!! The horror of getting a 3.2 semester after medical school acceptance! They're going to take your financial aid!!

On a more serious note, you're good to go, I don't think it really matters unless it's an extreme case of C's and D's

Ok, finally received my grades:

Animal Behavior: B-
Animal Diversity: B
Biochem lab: A
Bio: C (YIKES!)
Organic lab: B

I think I should be fine :D

Noobs. This is how it's done.

Sp Top/Scientific Photography: A
Sci Publication Analysis: A+
Prin of Toxicology II: A
Pharmacology: A-
Independent Study English: A

GPA: 3.925

supernatural_gif.gif

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha. Those classes made me chuckle. :)

I wish I planned out my 4 years better. Lol.

My GPA took a hit.

I know right?

I can't believe they made me memorize all these phylogenies. SO GLAD TO BE NOT DOING THAT FOR A LIVING!!!

At least that will come-in handy pretty soon, hopefully.

Hi Everyone,

I was recently accepted to medical school. I was wondering what grades are usually expected to be maintained in senior year in order to keep the acceptance. I foresee getting one B (worst case scenario a C), maybe one B+ and the rest A-'s and higher. On the acceptance letter all it says is: "your acceptance is contingent upon satisfactory completion of any academic studies now in progress." I called the admissions office and they didn't give me a straight answer. I was hoping anyone had any advice for me.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Everyone,

I was recently accepted to medical school. I was wondering what grades are usually expected to be maintained in senior year in order to keep the acceptance. I foresee getting one B (worst case scenario a C), maybe one B+ and the rest A-'s and higher. On the acceptance letter all it says is: "your acceptance is contingent upon satisfactory completion of any academic studies now in progress." I called the admissions office and they didn't give me a straight answer. I was hoping anyone had any advice for me.

Thanks in advance!
You're fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey,

I have a really tough semester and I think this is probably the worst that I have done in college. I have been accepted to medical school, but I am wondering if I will face any trouble with the following grades:

Animal Diversity: B+
Organic Lab (procrastinated until now): A-
Graduate level Bio: B-, possible a C
Animal Behavior: A-
Biochem Lab: A

These grades shouldn't affect me, right? I called my med school they don't have minimum cut-offs so far for the last semester. Just don't want to get my acceptance revoked. Lol.
You are fine. If they ask, say you spent too many days absent to do med school interviews :3

Do grades from fall semester of senior year (during application cycle) matter if a school makes admissions decisions in spring semester for a student with 3.9+ GPA on Amcas at the time of application?

Just for the sake of some numbers, let's say the student makes all B's in the fall semester. Would it matter?

Do grades from fall semester of senior year (during application cycle) matter if a school makes admissions decisions in spring semester for a student with 3.9+ GPA on Amcas at the time of application?

Just for the sake of some numbers, let's say the student makes all B's in the fall semester. Would it matter?
Not at all. Usually nothing will happen unless you fail, or possibly if you were to make all Cs or Ds. Bs are fine.

Posted using SDN Mobile