Do GSWs change you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The ammendment was not incorporated to allow the keeping of guns ONLY in the formation of a militia. The statement is that the right will not be infringed, not that one can keep a gun only in the context of a militia, but cites a militia as an important benefit of the right.

I am not advocating no regulation. I am advocating personal responsibility and parenting practices to cut down on the accidental deaths. Please do not take away my right to use firearms responsibly because there are others out there who do not. Coming from an area heavily 'loaded for bear' so to speak, I can say that firearms, while being an important tool in the commission of acts of hostility, are statistically not the biggest concern we should have.

28k firearms deaths annually.... how many guns are legally owned in this country? Millions, certainly, tens of millions probably, I would say. And the vast majority of those guns are NOT used in the commission of a crime or accidentally cause a death. So why would you want to remove the guns from tens of millions of people because a few thousand act criminally or irresponsibly? Would our (combined) efforts not be better focused on educating or punishing those responsible?

"She took away my car keys, but she forgot about my old John Deere!"

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by gimmedog

P.S. The Constitutional "right to bear arms" is to guarantee the right to a militia, not individual rights to a gun. Exact words:
"A well regulated militia being neccessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" The origin of this right was the war of independence and the frontier, when there was no organized police force and the US was a small and vulnerable new nation.

Too funny. You discuss this constitutional right in a "PS" to your message...as if its some simply little afterthought that you wanted to quickly clear up. Guess those silly constitutional law scholars who spend entire careers researching and writing about this topic are missing how easily the issue can be settled.....

Originally posted by tum
...snip...so psychologically, what's going on here? why do we like guns?

Well, small penis theories aside, I like guns because, as someone else here pointed out, they are by far superior to screwdrivers for killing Bambi and Donald.

As it turns out, I'm a big fan of Bambi Burgers and Donald..OK, so alliteration breaks down but you get the idea. My freezer (and the spare in the garage) are full of vension. Great stuff. It is really, really hard to kill a deer at 150 yards with anything less than a rifle.

Having said that, I don't pretend that my rifle or shotgun is worth much in terms of self-defense. Unless a well armed mugger approaches me on my lease, I'm pretty much going to have to depend on my loveable golden retriever licking an intruder to death or, if that fails, my son's baseball bat. Unlocking my gun cases and reassembling the guns in them, then asking the nice intruder if he would mind terribly waiting to kill me or my family while I run to the garage to get my ammunition just doesn't seem like a very realistic hope.

Just in case you're wondering, I wouldn't even think of joining the NRA. IMHO, they're doing gun owners everywhere a terrible disservce. As are, BTW, every other organization out there that took a reasonable position and turned it into a jihad.

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
I own military weapons because:

1) They are tangible artifacts of history.
2) They are fun to shoot.
3) It drives liberals up the wall. Makes 'em foam at the mouth. Fun to watch.
4) Because Hillary Clinton, Ralph Nader, and Sarah Brady don't want me to.
5) What good is a constitutional right if we don't exercise it? I imagine many of you would be "up in arms" if somebody tried to ban freedom of speech and assembly.

Hold on. You couldn't be "up in arms" because, having given up your arms you would stand emasculated in the face of government aggression. (Which is the real reason for the second ammendment.)

And it's a little insulting as a responsible citizen to have my rights under attack because of the actions of a handful of crack-dealers.

Originally posted by Panda Bear
5) What good is a constitutional right if we don't exercise it? I imagine many of you would be "up in arms" if somebody tried to ban freedom of speech and assembly.

Hold on. You couldn't be "up in arms" because, having given up your arms you would stand emasculated in the face of government aggression. (Which is the real reason for the second ammendment.)

And it's a little insulting as a responsible citizen to have my rights under attack because of the actions of a handful of crack-dealers.

I hope everyone is reading this! This is the reason the 2nd ammendment exist. Read Federalist Papers #12, and see what Thomas Jefferson had to say about how governemts should be changed in the face of Tyranny.