1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

DO hoping for ortho

Discussion in 'Orthopaedic Surgery' started by awsuma, Nov 14, 2005.

1. awsuma

awsuma New Member

Medical Student
    I'm a 4th year med student hoping to get into ortho, as I can not imagine doing anything else. Problem is I have only one interview left at UMDNJ, haven't been linked into any other programs and don't think my chances are great to get in at UMDNJ (at least not to a linked spot). My question is what do I do if I don't get in? What is the plausability of getting into a PGY-2 spot now that most programs are linking? Does anyone know where I can find info about which programs are linking and which ones aren't? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm feeling a little lost right now.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pir8DeacDoc

Pir8DeacDoc Cerumen Extractor
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd be curious to hear any advice as well on this topic. I'm a fourth year student who has tried a couple other fields and have now come around to ortho. I'm afraid it's too late for me this year but not sure how to spend next year i.e. research or prelim year. Ideas?

4. DNAdude

DNAdude Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

its a tough position to be in....but if i were you guys i would try first at non-linked positions: Millcreek county- 2 spots, chicago st james-4 spots, firelands-2 spots, or Penninsula in new york 2 spots for this year...try to call in and get a rotation in anything at those spots now so you can get to know the ortho guys now. Then From july to about oct- nov of 2006 you have to gun with others who want an ortho spot so you become a student again.
    If you dont get in than you can do some reasearch and reapply to the place you did your internship at...i cant imagine not gettin in after 3 tries....but i have heard many horror stories.....hope that helps

5. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

What is the story with unfunded spots? My friend just got into one - are they easier to get?

6. Cowboy DO

Cowboy DO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Anyone know much about penninsula? Its a rather small hospital is the OR time sufficient? also it looks like it might be pyramidal, that sucks if it works the way i think it does.

7. JP2005

JP2005 HOPKINS GAS PASSER
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    peninsula is a shady program.......id stay away from it ( i looked into it when i was thinking about ortho prior to anesthesia.....did a lot of rotations there as a 3rd yr student)...however, being a DO it is difficult to land ortho spots (not typing this to start any wars... i am a DO) so id keep all options open....in fact if you are thinking about peninsula get your foot in the door EARLY (start attending those once a week evening conferences, and set up plenty of rotations there)......

8. Cowboy DO

Cowboy DO Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What about it is shady exactly? Im not really hardcore Ortho, im more interested in Radiology. Its just an idea im tossing around right now. The only problem is that I'd very much like to stay in the north east, so if penninsula is out of the question that leaves PCOM and the one in NJ. I guess it's a good thing I find radiology more appealing.