1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

do i got a shot to get in anywhere

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by yo1, Aug 10, 2002.

1. yo1

yo1 New Member

yo just wondering if you guys think i have a shot at gettin into med school...i got a 3.2 gpa have an engineering major. got a 27 on my mcats the second time. got 2 years of research, publications, extra curriculars..hot recommendations. ..etc. planning to apply to med school next year once i graduate..ill probably get a master's during that year off. well just wondering what you guys think..let me know

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Joe Joe on da Radio

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if i were you, i would get a masters before applying. your gpa is a little low (i know it was in engineering and those classes are hard as hell, but adcoms don't care about that). do you have a strong upward trend? if not, then you need to show adcoms that you can excel in science classes. get a masters in a science field, ace your classes, and then apply. is your 27 MCAT balanced? if not, i would consider re-taking it. you want your app to be as strong as possible when you apply.

-joe joe

4. FutureM.D.

FutureM.D. Psychology major
    7+ Year Member

Your gpa sounds fine to me. There are people(not a lot) who get into med school with GPA's in the 2.0 to 2.9 range. You could go ahead and get the master's if you wanted though. What are your MCAT scores?

5. Coolio30

Coolio30 Member
    7+ Year Member

well, i will let u know what happens. with a 3.9, and a fairly balanced 27 (10V, 8P, 9B), I am giving it a shot this year. considering u will get a masters, i think there is no need for a retake on the mcats (assuming its balanced). u might want to try the masters program at finch. I am also looking at all my options now. Good luck.

6. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

"do i got a shot to get in anywhere" Not using that grammer you don't. No sir. ;)

7. yo1

yo1 New Member

aight well see here's the thing..first 2 years of college..i had no idea what i wanted to major in..also i had some personal problems to deal with and was in a pretty bad car accident one semester that lead me to drop out of a class cause i couldnt handle load cause of goin home to the doctors and gettin routine checks.. but after that my grades went up significantly...my mcat was 8V,9P,10B.

do you guys think doin a master's at like Georgetown in that program to help applicants better their chances a good idea or should i go with a master's in like biomedical sciences or public health..

and also what schools are good to apply to, im lookin at the state schools but what are other ones..

8. CoffeeCat

CoffeeCat SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree! Please change the title of the post to something like "do I have a shot?" or "can I get in anywhere?"

9. Mr. H

7+ Year Member

you guys are bickering over grammar, give me a break! lunatic pre-meds.

10. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

AMEN.

11. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

Heh. I was joking, but it did get under my skin. The english language has gone to sh**.

12. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

THAT DOES IT. NO MORE MONKEYS. ;) JK STREET.

13. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

um..hardly anyone gets in with that, and besides, his gpa is 3.2. His MCAT is a 27, he listed it. You havent started ugrad yet, so maybe you should put that disclaimer with your advice..just a thought..

14. Centrum

Centrum SMILEY KING
    7+ Year Member

15. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

no harm meant, but let's be honest. His GPA was 3.2, she listed 2.0-2.9 stats (which werent even right), and she asked for his MCAT, which he listed.

Not even in ugrad? Wait til you give advice to someone seeking med school help.

If you want good stats, yo1, check out MSAR. They have all the GPA and MCAT stats (and more) you could ever want.

16. yo1

yo1 New Member

come on now..you guys serious about the title i gotta agree with Mr.H on that one....anyways, what is MSAR by the way and what's the link.

17. Doctora Foxy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    MSAR is the book called Medical School Admission Requirements and it's made by the big dogs, the AAMC. You can buy it on www.aamc.org or even on amazon.com. Some libraries have them too. :)

18. SMW

SMW Grand Member
    7+ Year Member

MSAR is Medical School Admission Requirements. It's the Bible on medical schools, and is available from AAMC. There is no link. Oops, you beat me to it, Foxy!