do i got a shot to get in anywhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yo1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
yo just wondering if you guys think i have a shot at gettin into med school...i got a 3.2 gpa have an engineering major. got a 27 on my mcats the second time. got 2 years of research, publications, extra curriculars..hot recommendations. ..etc. planning to apply to med school next year once i graduate..ill probably get a master's during that year off. well just wondering what you guys think..let me know

Members don't see this ad.

if i were you, i would get a masters before applying. your gpa is a little low (i know it was in engineering and those classes are hard as hell, but adcoms don't care about that). do you have a strong upward trend? if not, then you need to show adcoms that you can excel in science classes. get a masters in a science field, ace your classes, and then apply. is your 27 MCAT balanced? if not, i would consider re-taking it. you want your app to be as strong as possible when you apply.

-joe joe

Your gpa sounds fine to me. There are people(not a lot) who get into med school with GPA's in the 2.0 to 2.9 range. You could go ahead and get the master's if you wanted though. What are your MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
well, i will let u know what happens. with a 3.9, and a fairly balanced 27 (10V, 8P, 9B), I am giving it a shot this year. considering u will get a masters, i think there is no need for a retake on the mcats (assuming its balanced). u might want to try the masters program at finch. I am also looking at all my options now. Good luck.

"do i got a shot to get in anywhere" Not using that grammer you don't. No sir. ;)

aight well see here's the thing..first 2 years of college..i had no idea what i wanted to major in..also i had some personal problems to deal with and was in a pretty bad car accident one semester that lead me to drop out of a class cause i couldnt handle load cause of goin home to the doctors and gettin routine checks.. but after that my grades went up significantly...my mcat was 8V,9P,10B.

do you guys think doin a master's at like Georgetown in that program to help applicants better their chances a good idea or should i go with a master's in like biomedical sciences or public health..

and also what schools are good to apply to, im lookin at the state schools but what are other ones..

Originally posted by Centrum
"do i got a shot to get in anywhere" Not using that grammer you don't. No sir. ;)

I agree! Please change the title of the post to something like "do I have a shot?" or "can I get in anywhere?"

you guys are bickering over grammar, give me a break! lunatic pre-meds.

Heh. I was joking, but it did get under my skin. The english language has gone to sh**.

THAT DOES IT. NO MORE MONKEYS. ;) JK STREET.

Originally posted by FutureM.D.
Your gpa sounds fine to me. There are people(not a lot) who get into med school with GPA's in the 2.0 to 2.9 range. You could go ahead and get the master's if you wanted though. What are your MCAT scores?

um..hardly anyone gets in with that, and besides, his gpa is 3.2. His MCAT is a 27, he listed it. You havent started ugrad yet, so maybe you should put that disclaimer with your advice..just a thought..

no harm meant, but let's be honest. His GPA was 3.2, she listed 2.0-2.9 stats (which werent even right), and she asked for his MCAT, which he listed.

Not even in ugrad? Wait til you give advice to someone seeking med school help.

If you want good stats, yo1, check out MSAR. They have all the GPA and MCAT stats (and more) you could ever want.

come on now..you guys serious about the title i gotta agree with Mr.H on that one....anyways, what is MSAR by the way and what's the link.

Originally posted by yo1
come on now..you guys serious about the title i gotta agree with Mr.H on that one....anyways, what is MSAR by the way and what's the link.

MSAR is the book called Medical School Admission Requirements and it's made by the big dogs, the AAMC. You can buy it on www.aamc.org or even on amazon.com. Some libraries have them too. :)

MSAR is Medical School Admission Requirements. It's the Bible on medical schools, and is available from AAMC. There is no link. Oops, you beat me to it, Foxy!