Medical Do I have a chance at applying Internal medicine with low Level 1 score?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I wanted some advice on applying IM this cycle. Im located in the NE and I have a comlex level 1 retake 390's, level 1: 450-465, level 2: 480-500. step 2: 226, Im studying for step 1 rn and am trying to take it by the end of this month if that makes any difference. Im wondering how many programs should I apply to? Will most programs just automatically filter me out because of my level 1 retake? Does the step 2 help at all ? Should I even bother taking step 1 or is it too late ? Any advice would be appreciated im just feeling super defeated that no matter what I can never move past my retake and its going to just continue to haunt me.
TIA
Not sure this needs to be in the confidential forum. There's a lovely IM WAMC thread where you'll get a lot more helpful replies.

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to apply broadly. Also, a decent Step 1 score will help since most programs will prefer the Step over Comlex so that could help you. If you don’t take Step 1, that super low COMLEX will most likely screen you out of a lot of programs. Try to score around your Step 2 score.

I was going to apply between 130-150 programs . Do you think emailing interest once eras is available for PD to download will help ? I was hoping My step 2 will get through some filters but I won’t have a step 1 score back until nov I want to make sure I can at least score around what I got for my step 2

Letters of interest, no.

You would need to check on which places require step 1 as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to disagree on the Step 1. It's clear from your Level 1 scores that the pre-clinical stuff is not your strong suit. The likelihood of you scoring well enough on Step 1 (like 240+) to make programs ignore all your other scores is pretty much nil at this point. It's a waste of time, energy and money for you to take Step 1 at this point. Put your energy elsewhere.

I'm going to disagree on the Step 1. It's clear from your Level 1 scores that the pre-clinical stuff is not your strong suit. The likelihood of you scoring well enough on Step 1 (like 240+) to make programs ignore all your other scores is pretty much nil at this point. It's a waste of time, energy and money for you to take Step 1 at this point. Put your energy elsewhere.

Good point. I guess my point was more so that even though programs say they accept comlex in lieu of Step, a lot REALLY don’t which may limit the number of programs that the OP is eligible for if they don’t have a step on file.

Good point. I guess my point was more so that even though programs say they accept comlex in lieu of Step, a lot REALLY don’t which may limit the number of programs that the OP is eligible for if they don’t have a step on file.
And my point was that a Step 1 of 210 will be worse than no Step 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.