Do I have a chance at SGU or Ross??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agent47

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys took my MCATs in early July...Studied hard for it...was doing excellent in practice but did extremely bad in real one. 20 O ...I know that I shouldn't even bother to apply for US MDs but still I was wondering having other stuff ...Is there any HOPE for SGU and Ross???

GPA: Overall ~ 3.8
GPA: Science ~ 3.85
Research in Radiation Oncology for 1 Year..published an article
Rotation (Observer ship) in Anesthesiology for 1 month
Volunteer at Hospital for almost 3 Years and still doing it.
Lot of other extracurreculum activities...I had everything but MCAT scores killed me... I dont know what to do..My confidence is broken..I studied hard..was hitting around 26-29s...English is my second language so Verbal was always bringing me down..
Current score: Phyical 9 Bio 9 Verbal 2 (I dont know how I got 2)...

Thinking about the second option...Going to Caribbean...Really depressed lately..Need help guys..What should I do??:(:( Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

With that GPA, you need to a second and/or third attempt at the MCAT before applying to the Carib. Then hopefully, you can apply to DO and US MD schools. If verbal has been your primary issue, consider takng a class or two to improve your use of the English language.

With that GPA, you need to a second and/or third attempt at the MCAT before applying to the Carib. Then hopefully, you can apply to DO and US MD schools. If verbal has been your primary issue, consider takng a class or two to improve your use of the English language.

Definitely, with a year of studying you can positively raise your score by a few points. Here's another way to think about it: If you can't study and do better on the MCAT in a year, do you think you're going to survive at any medical school?

You could apply DO now, but I wouldn't consider the Caribbean an option unless you're from there. I've heard that they drop students who can't hack it, and even then you have to deal with the stress of getting a residency in the continental U.S.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely, with a year of studying you can positively raise your score by a few points. Here's another way to think about it: If you can't study and do better on the mcat in a year, do you think you're going to survive at any medical school?

You could apply do now, but i wouldn't consider the caribbean an option unless you're from there. I've heard that they drop students who can't hack it, and even then you have to deal with the stress of getting a residency in the continental u.s.

but would i have a chance with that gpa???

Wow, I've never heard of someone getting a 2 before. I'm not trying to be harsh.

Is this consistent with your practice tests?

If it is, I'd be a little concerned that even a year may not help with your Verbal. Of course, I still agree with all the above posters. If anything, while you're working on Verbal you could put in a little more work on the sciences. You can strive to really knocking them out of the park with a 12+ on each. I've heard stories of being with similar scores (BS 12+, PS 12+, low VR) and getting accepted. They also needed a high GPA and EC's which it sounds like you have.

(Don't go to the Caribbean if you don't have to.)

edit: The example I gave above may have been an exception, but it's possible.

Last edited: