Do I have a chance for pharmacy school still?

Started by rayrae
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rayrae

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a PP2 student at a 0-6 pharmacy program. I didn't get placed into the writing course that was required in my first semester and it threw me off track. First semester they placed me on academic probation because my GPA fell below a 2.800 which screwed me over pretty badly because the cumulative GPA I brought up went back down again. The following a spring semester I brought my term GPA up to a 3.000 because I retook chem 1 and then in the summer I took chem 2 and got a C and 3 other courses and got a 2.822 and they still put me on probation despite meeting the requirements!!! The dean was expecting me to get a B or higher in the sciences. Following semester I took Bio 1, Orgo 1 and Physics 161 & my cumulative GPA plummeted. I blame myself completely for this mess if only I waited patiently for an extra year and bring less hell upon myself. Long story short my fall semester ended & I got dismissed program. I appealed the dismissal explaining my whole situation that I was supposed to be on a reduced workload since I was on probation & even provided verified documentation but no luck. I was at an unfair disadvantage & I had to wait one whole year to take Gen Bio because they don't offer it off season nor allow me to take science courses in the summer unless you failed or received an unsatisfactory grade. 🙁 My current plan is to either transfer to another school within this university or transfer to another college on the East Coast & redo my prereqs that weren't above a C. I'm still enrolled in the same school retaking Orgo 1 and other pharmacy prereqs but got dismissed from the pharmacy program. If I continue my prereqs at another school, take PCATs and apply to a pharmacy school other than this one, do I still have a chance? 🙁🙁

(Disclaimer: I know I screwed up & I don't need people scolding me about it anymore...but what are my best options in terms of making myself a better applicant for pharmacy schools?)
 
Last edited:
Okay, I had to stop reading early on because it turned into a rambling mess. I saw you claimed they put you on probation even though you met the requirements? I'm sorry, but this is doubtful. Are you being completely honest? Do you fully understand the requirements of the probation? If you truly completed the probation requirements and they still have you on probation, then perhaps you should be speaking with an attorney.

As for the grades, you aren't in a hole so deep that you can never get out. I had a D and an F my first year for exactly the same reason, a roommate who drank excessively and would damage property. I missed a final exam because the night before he destroyed my computer, broke down the door to the bathroom, and smashed the toilet. I retook the classes, moved in with a different roommate the next year, and got serious about school. You need to turn those C's into B's and A's but you can still get into pharmacy school.
 
With all the new schools opening up, i wouldn't worry about getting in, as long as you're willing to relocate.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, I had to stop reading early on because it turned into a rambling mess. I saw you claimed they put you on probation even though you met the requirements? I'm sorry, but this is doubtful. Are you being completely honest? Do you fully understand the requirements of the probation? If you truly completed the probation requirements and they still have you on probation, then perhaps you should be speaking with an attorney.

As for the grades, you aren't in a hole so deep that you can never get out. I had a D and an F my first year for exactly the same reason, a roommate who drank excessively and would damage property. I missed a final exam because the night before he destroyed my computer, broke down the door to the bathroom, and smashed the toilet. I retook the classes, moved in with a different roommate the next year, and got serious about school. You need to turn those C's into B's and A's but you can still get into pharmacy school.

Yes I'm being honest I met the GPA requirements that my cumulative GPA had to be above a 2.800 exactly as per the school & the only requirements for getting the grades were to get grades of C or better for my science courses. I took General Chemistry 2 & got a C 3 other elective courses A's & they still put me on probation. As for the attorney part, I don't think it's reasonable to do so anymore because they'll just find another reason to keep me out of the program. Especially being that I failed 3 sciences in the semester afterwards they'll probably justify that I'm scholastically deficient in the sciences.
 
Last edited:
I'm a PP2 student at a 0-6 pharmacy program & went through hell my first year in college & still going through lots of trouble. I didn't get placed into the writing course that's supposedly hard that was required in my first semester and it threw me off track. Much worse than that, this one little thing discouraged me and ended up affecting my grades first semester. I got 3 D's (chem 1, calc 1 and despite getting 100's in recitation they still gave me a D because lecture and recitation is counted as one grade regardless of how well you do in recitation). I can't believe I failed those 2 courses!!! I take the full blame but I was going through a bad time of dealing with a reckless roommate who was drunk 24/7 and disturbing me at night and even split her knee open after being intoxicated at 4 am before my final exam!!! and of course the dumb Residence Life didn't let me move out -__-. So after that unfortunate first semester they placed me on academic probation because my GPA fell below a 2.800 which screwed me over pretty badly because building up my cumulative GPA is very hard. The following a spring semester I brought my GPA up to a 3.000 because I retook chem 1 and then in the summer I took chem 2 and got a C and other courses and got a 2.822 and they still put me on probation despite meeting the requirements!!! The dean is expecting me to get a B or higher in the sciences. As I mentioned earlier this writing course I couldn't get into a co-req with General Biology which makes NO SENSE!!! I got an A in that writing course but because of this course, I didn't get to take Bio after because they only offer Bio 1 in the fall and my program prohibits taking science courses in the summer. The Office of Academic Services redid my whole schedule and made me take Orgo 1, Bio 1 and Elements of Physics. I requested them several times if there was any other way I can take avoid taking this overload. These science courses are 4 credits and I took another required elective and another required writing course, so 18 credits. I was forced to take all of these sciences if I wanted to graduate in 5 more years. I should've waited an extra year. Grades came in they failed my for Bio 1 (I was in utter shock & wasn't expecting this) and Orgo 1 and Physics I got a D my cumulative GPA plummeted to a 2.437. I blame myself completely for this mess if only I waited patiently for an extra year and bring less hell upon myself. I've been having severe anxiety and mental breakdowns almost everyday since then because I feel like such a failure at this point and feel there's no hope. I'm still getting help from a school psychologist because of this. My fall semester ended & I got dismissed program. I appealed the dismissal explaining my whole situation that I was supposed to be on a reduced workload since I was on probation & even provided documentation from my psychologist for my anxiety. I disappointed my parents big time and I'm very depressed. I'm hoping I get another chance to pursue pharmacy it's my true passion. It's depressing having to see your grades hitting an all time low especially if that's what you work hard for. And seeing your friends at other schools enjoying their time while taking the same exact career path as you. 🙁 My current plan is to either transfer to another school within this university or transfer to another college in NY & redo my prereqs that weren't above a C. I'm still enrolled in the same school retaking Orgo 1 and other pharmacy prereqs but got dismissed from the pharmacy program. If I continue my prereqs at another school, take PCATs and apply to a pharmacy school other than this one, do I still have a chance? I'm planning on majoring in bio and getting a Bachelor's Degree first. If anybody has any tips for me please help me. I feel hopeless and such a fail in my life because my original plan coming to this university got completely screwed over. I'm currently crying as I write this post because I regret so many mistakes I've made. Sorry for it being this long. I just want some hope and helpful advice🙁🙁 I never want to look back on this school that gave me a nightmare for 2 years straight.

Sounds like you go to Rutgers?
 
What makes you think you can survive the coursework once you get into pharmacy school?

I flew through undergrad up to the completion of my BS in Chem (courses like QA, PChem, Calc3). In pharmacy school when patho started, I struggled and had to apply myself much, much more and relearn how to study the massive information to barely make below the grades I wanted.

I suggest not worrying about this right now. There's nothing you can really do now until you finish your bio degree, bring up your GPA, get more involved in ECs and graduate to show the programs you want to apply to that you are competent. Any other conversation before this point is just moot. Also, take some time to understand if this is your true passion (do you have working experience in this field?). Finding out otherwise right now will save you a lot of headache and debt.
 
What makes you think you can survive the coursework once you get into pharmacy school?

I flew through undergrad up to the completion of my BS in Chem (courses like QA, PChem, Calc3). In pharmacy school when patho started, I struggled and had to apply myself much, much more and relearn how to study the massive information to barely make below the grades I wanted.

I suggest not worrying about this right now. There's nothing you can really do now until you finish your bio degree, bring up your GPA, get more involved in ECs and graduate to show the programs you want to apply to that you are competent. Any other conversation before this point is just moot. Also, take some time to understand if this is your true passion (do you have working experience in this field?). Finding out otherwise right now will save you a lot of headache and debt.

The summer before entering college I worked in a pharmacy at a hospital setting & I learned so much out of it. I'm more motivated & aware of what I have to do now. If this situation of being off track hadn't happened then I would not be writing this post right now.
 
How did you know that?

... I've seen it happen before too many times. Rutgers has a unique culture that locks you in a death spiral once you fail once, or it at the very least, overly promotes all activities aside from academics. It's a huge party school that caters to students "getting by," while having a fun time. While it does look after it's genius population (3.8+ GPA) students that are able to basically teach themselves, other students are basically left to fend for themselves, and should not expect any help after making a mistake once.

Private message me as much information about yourself as possible (current academic plans, other colleges in vicinity, etc.) I'll see what I can do to help you with advice.
 
The case against 0-6 programs right here. Many people graduate just fine but the admission and "retention" processes are all about weeding people out, which is a shame
 
What makes you think you can survive the coursework once you get into pharmacy school?

I flew through undergrad up to the completion of my BS in Chem (courses like QA, PChem, Calc3). In pharmacy school when patho started, I struggled and had to apply myself much, much more and relearn how to study the massive information to barely make below the grades I wanted.

I suggest not worrying about this right now. There's nothing you can really do now until you finish your bio degree, bring up your GPA, get more involved in ECs and graduate to show the programs you want to apply to that you are competent. Any other conversation before this point is just moot. Also, take some time to understand if this is your true passion (do you have working experience in this field?). Finding out otherwise right now will save you a lot of headache and debt.

Dam. PChem more do-able than pharmacy pathophysiology? I guess I can see where you're coming from though; once mastering the fundamentals of physical chemistry, you can really intuit your way through problems as opposed to any pharmacy school course, where remembering a ton of isolated details seem to be the way to go.

... I've seen it happen before too many times. Rutgers has a unique culture that locks you in a death spiral once you fail once, or it at the very least, overly promotes all activities aside from academics. It's a huge party school that caters to students "getting by," while having a fun time. While it does look after it's genius population (3.8+ GPA) students that are able to basically teach themselves, other students are basically left to fend for themselves, and should not expect any help after making a mistake once.

Private message me as much information about yourself as possible (current academic plans, other colleges in vicinity, etc.) I'll see what I can do to help you with advice.

Urban dictionary has the term RU screwed - 🙂
 
Dam. PChem more do-able than pharmacy pathophysiology? I guess I can see where you're coming from though; once mastering the fundamentals of physical chemistry, you can really intuit your way through problems as opposed to any pharmacy school course, where remembering a ton of isolated details seem to be the way to go.



Urban dictionary has the term RU screwed - 🙂
You're right this RU screw has screwed me one too many times since I step foot here -__-
 
I'm a PP2 student at a 0-6 pharmacy program. I didn't get placed into the writing course that was required in my first semester and it threw me off track. This one little thing discouraged me and ended up affecting my grades first semester. I got 3 D's (chem 1, calc 1 and despite getting 100's in recitation they still gave me a D because lecture and recitation is counted as one grade regardless of how well you do in recitation). I can't believe I failed those 2 courses!!! I take the full blame but I was going through a bad time of dealing with a reckless roommate who was drunk 24/7 and disturbing me at night and even split her knee open after being intoxicated at 4 am before my final exam!!! and of course the dumb Residence Life didn't let me move out -__-. So after that unfortunate first semester they placed me on academic probation because my GPA fell below a 2.800 which screwed me over pretty badly because building up my cumulative GPA is very hard. The following a spring semester I brought my GPA up to a 3.000 because I retook chem 1 and then in the summer I took chem 2 and got a C and other courses and got a 2.822 and they still put me on probation despite meeting the requirements!!! The dean is expecting me to get a B or higher in the sciences. As I mentioned earlier this writing course I couldn't get into a co-req with General Biology which makes NO SENSE!!! I got an A in that writing course but because of this course, I didn't get to take Bio after because they only offer Bio 1 in the fall and my program prohibits taking science courses in the summer. The Office of Academic Services redid my whole schedule and made me take Orgo 1, Bio 1 and Elements of Physics. I requested them several times if there was any other way I can take avoid taking this overload. These science courses are 4 credits and I took another required elective and another required writing course, so 18 credits. I was forced to take all of these sciences if I wanted to graduate in 5 more years. I should've waited an extra year. Grades came in they failed my for Bio 1 (I was in utter shock & wasn't expecting this) and Orgo 1 and Physics I got a D my cumulative GPA plummeted to a 2.437. I blame myself completely for this mess if only I waited patiently for an extra year and bring less hell upon myself. I've been having severe anxiety and mental breakdowns almost everyday since then because I feel like such a failure at this point and feel there's no hope. I'm still getting help from a school psychologist because of this. My fall semester ended & I got dismissed program. I appealed the dismissal explaining my whole situation that I was supposed to be on a reduced workload since I was on probation & even provided documentation from my psychologist for my anxiety. I disappointed my parents big time and I'm very depressed. I'm hoping I get another chance to pursue pharmacy it's my true passion. It's depressing having to see your grades hitting an all time low especially if that's what you work hard for. And seeing your friends at other schools enjoying their time while taking the same exact career path as you. 🙁 My current plan is to either transfer to another school within this university or transfer to another college in NY & redo my prereqs that weren't above a C. I'm still enrolled in the same school retaking Orgo 1 and other pharmacy prereqs but got dismissed from the pharmacy program. If I continue my prereqs at another school, take PCATs and apply to a pharmacy school other than this one, do I still have a chance? I'm planning on majoring in bio and getting a Bachelor's Degree first. If anybody has any tips for me please help me. I feel hopeless and such a fail in my life because my original plan coming to this university got completely screwed over. I'm currently crying as I write this post because I regret so many mistakes I've made. Sorry for it being this long. I just want some hope and helpful advice🙁🙁 I never want to look back on this school that gave me a nightmare for 2 years straight.

You need to learn to take responsibility for your actions. It is not your roommates fault or student life's fault that you stayed in such a terrible environment for so long. You should have moved out. It sounds like you are not very motivated so i doubt you would do well in pharmacy school. Consider going for nursing instead.
 
You need to learn to take responsibility for your actions. It is not your roommates fault or student life's fault that you stayed in such a terrible environment for so long. You should have moved out. It sounds like you are not very motivated so i doubt you would do well in pharmacy school. Consider going for nursing instead.
I'm sorry I didn't ask for negativity just some insight...so if you don't mind stop trolling my page, thanks. And it's not like I don't have another chance to redeem myself. I never quit & I won't which is why chose to continue my education..that's called motivation. I don't need people like you telling me I'm not motivated & I should drop everything for something I'm not interested in pursuing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sorry I didn't ask for negativity just some insight...so if you don't mind stop trolling my page, thanks. And it's not like I don't have another chance to redeem myself. I never quit & I won't which is why chose to continue my education..that's called motivation. I don't need people like you telling me I'm not motivated & I should drop everything for something I'm not interested in pursuing.

Pharmacy jobs are getting hyper competitive. If you are the type of person that doesn't get all A's with a few B's you are not motivated. Even if you somehow manage to get through pharmacy school you will not be able to get a job after graduating with all your issues. You have to be extremely aggressive in this new work environment, something i don't think a "depressed" person that has "severe anxiety and mental breakdowns almost everyday" and is already struggling in undergrad classes already will be able to do.

"the dumb Residence Life didn't let me move out -__-."
It's your fault for not moving out. Not residence life. They are not forcing you to stay in a negative environment

Pharmacy and it's prerequisites are not even considered hard classes by most professionals. This isn't analytical chemistry or calculus 3, Human Structure and function or differential equations we are talking about. Please consider a different profession as I don't think pharmacy is a good fit for you.
 
I'll spare you from the chiding. What you may want to do is look into transferring schools and complete an undergrad degree while taking prerequisite courses for graduate level pharm school. Take all courses required and take the PCAT, apply to schools and go from there.

If you're really serious about your future career then you will do better. If you still struggle with the core science courses then it's time to reevaluate your plans.
 
Pharmacy jobs are getting hyper competitive. If you are the type of person that doesn't get all A's with a few B's you are not motivated. Even if you somehow manage to get through pharmacy school you will not be able to get a job after graduating with all your issues. You have to be extremely aggressive in this new work environment, something i don't think a "depressed" person that has "severe anxiety and mental breakdowns almost everyday" and is already struggling in undergrad classes already will be able to do.

"the dumb Residence Life didn't let me move out -__-."
It's your fault for not moving out. Not residence life. They are not forcing you to stay in a negative environment

Pharmacy and it's prerequisites are not even considered hard classes by most professionals. This isn't analytical chemistry or calculus 3, Human Structure and function or differential equations we are talking about. Please consider a different profession as I don't think pharmacy is a good fit for you.

You're probably assuming this from lack of experience but the college I go to doesn't work the way other schools do in terms of Residential Life. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't just drop everything & commute back home every single day if there were no other places to stay on campus. As for the stuff you said before, I know grades are extremely important & no I'm not expecting this to get an easier either from here because I have to amp up my game. Experience in the actual field counts as well. You have to be well rounded in all aspects & have connections or you'll get nowhere in life. I'm just moving on from this past experience & focusing on my grades at this point & then I'll make the choice whether or not "pharmacy is a good fit" for me.
 
It doesn't matter how much experience you have in the real world or how much you love pharmacy you have to pass your classes for goodness sake. If the school is that bad how are other students passing? I'm sure some other school will accept you but you need to get it together and stop making excuses.

Passion and motivation do not yield results, discipline and hard work do.
 
I'm a PP2 student at a 0-6 pharmacy program. I didn't get placed into the writing course that was required in my first semester and it threw me off track. First semester they placed me on academic probation because my GPA fell below a 2.800 which screwed me over pretty badly because the cumulative GPA I brought up went back down again. The following a spring semester I brought my term GPA up to a 3.000 because I retook chem 1 and then in the summer I took chem 2 and got a C and 3 other courses and got a 2.822 and they still put me on probation despite meeting the requirements!!! The dean was expecting me to get a B or higher in the sciences. Following semester I took Bio 1, Orgo 1 and Physics 161 & my cumulative GPA plummeted to a 2.437. I blame myself completely for this mess if only I waited patiently for an extra year and bring less hell upon myself. Long story short my fall semester ended & I got dismissed program. I appealed the dismissal explaining my whole situation that I was supposed to be on a reduced workload since I was on probation & even provided verified documentation but no luck. 🙁 My current plan is to either transfer to another school within this university or transfer to another college in NY & redo my prereqs that weren't above a C. I'm still enrolled in the same school retaking Orgo 1 and other pharmacy prereqs but got dismissed from the pharmacy program. If I continue my prereqs at another school, take PCATs and apply to a pharmacy school other than this one, do I still have a chance? 🙁🙁

(Disclaimer: I know I screwed up & I don't need people scolding me about it anymore...but what are my best options in terms of making myself a better applicant for pharmacy schools?)

Quoted for Posterity.

Sounds like you know what you need to do, start fresh and figure out how to succeed in college. Obviously however you were studying was not working for you. I am sure your college has resources to help you learn better study habits that fit your learning style.

Good luck, but know that you are fighting an uphill battle the rest of the way.
 
You're probably assuming this from lack of experience but the college I go to doesn't work the way other schools do in terms of Residential Life. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't just drop everything & commute back home every single day if there were no other places to stay on campus. As for the stuff you said before, I know grades are extremely important & no I'm not expecting this to get an easier either from here because I have to amp up my game. Experience in the actual field counts as well. You have to be well rounded in all aspects & have connections or you'll get nowhere in life. I'm just moving on from this past experience & focusing on my grades at this point & then I'll make the choice whether or not "pharmacy is a good fit" for me.

" I'm pretty sure you wouldn't just drop everything & commute back home every single day if there were no other places to stay on campus. " Do you even realize how privileged you are to have a home to commute from? Staying on campus is a luxury. My parents are dead and I sleep in a van on a city street near my school. I consider living in a van to be a blessing because there are plenty of less fortunate people living on the streets. It's not "drop everything" it's called being a mature and responsible adult. I don't know what kinda glucose-coated mansion you grew up in but this is the real world. Grow up and apply to some nursing programs though with your work ethic I don't even know if that will be a viable career choice for you.
 
" I'm pretty sure you wouldn't just drop everything & commute back home every single day if there were no other places to stay on campus. " Do you even realize how privileged you are to have a home to commute from? Staying on campus is a luxury. My parents are dead and I sleep in a van on a city street near my school. I consider living in a van to be a blessing because there are plenty of less fortunate people living on the streets. It's not "drop everything" it's called being a mature and responsible adult. I don't know what kinda glucose-coated mansion you grew up in but this is the real world. Grow up and apply to some nursing programs though with your work ethic I don't even know if that will be a viable career choice for you.
I find it useless even explaining myself to you & there's really no more need to...you're only saying this right now because it's anonymous otherwise you wouldn't even say this to someone in person. And no I didn't have the opportunity to grow up in a so called "glucose-coated mansion"...get a life instead of trying to put others down & acting like a jerk. I don't put up with bs from people like you...real world or not
 
" I'm pretty sure you wouldn't just drop everything & commute back home every single day if there were no other places to stay on campus. " Do you even realize how privileged you are to have a home to commute from? Staying on campus is a luxury. My parents are dead and I sleep in a van on a city street near my school. I consider living in a van to be a blessing because there are plenty of less fortunate people living on the streets. It's not "drop everything" it's called being a mature and responsible adult. I don't know what kinda glucose-coated mansion you grew up in but this is the real world. Grow up and apply to some nursing programs though with your work ethic I don't even know if that will be a viable career choice for you.

Are you serious? Can't your school help you out with this?
 
I'm sorry I didn't ask for negativity just some insight...so if you don't mind stop trolling my page, thanks. And it's not like I don't have another chance to redeem myself. I never quit & I won't which is why chose to continue my education..that's called motivation. I don't need people like you telling me I'm not motivated & I should drop everything for something I'm not interested in pursuing.

It's not negativity to want to spare you going tens of thousands more dollars in debt for a degree you are unlikely to ever finish. It's not scolding you to suggest that you understand your limitations better and find a career more suitable for yourself (I wouldn't suggest nursing as it still requires basic science.) It is clear that science is not your strong point, regardless of how much you wish it was. I would suggest you take some kind of career aptitute, find out where your strengths lie, and then you will be able to pick a more suitable career.
 
It's not negativity to want to spare you going tens of thousands more dollars in debt for a degree you are unlikely to ever finish. It's not scolding you to suggest that you understand your limitations better and find a career more suitable for yourself (I wouldn't suggest nursing as it still requires basic science.) It is clear that science is not your strong point, regardless of how much you wish it was. I would suggest you take some kind of career aptitute, find out where your strengths lie, and then you will be able to pick a more suitable career.
I understand where you're coming from but the way my courses were tailored for me is what screwed me up the most. If I had taken these courses at a regular pace like the other students within my class, I could've excelled. But taking on 3 science courses (orgo, bio & physics) at once with 2 other classes is extremely difficult. My point is that as I wished I would've had the proper guidance to take an extra year & space out my classes properly because cramming majority core sciences classes isn't a good idea at all & I learned it the hard way unfortunately because I listened to my pharmacy guidance counselor. I reached out for help to take an extra year & they didn't allow me. I know that I can do extremely well if I do the prerequisites again. And I know undergrad courses alone isn't what'll only determine my success in pharmacy school. It's also time management, having effective study skills tailored for each class & being able to handle the pharmacy courses based off of an understanding of the basic sciences I take in undergrad which builds off of it in pharm school. There's a reason why they have a set course track for students to allow them to develop time management but I wasn't allowed to be on that track because of a writing course that was a pre-/co-requisite for Gen Bio. That's what mainly got me into this mess. And no I'm not making excuses because most people don't understand my situation & I don't expect them to either. I was at an unfair disadvantage & I had to wait one whole year to take Gen Bio because they don't offer it off season nor allow me to take science courses in the summer unless you failed.
 
Last edited:
I understand where you're coming from but the way my courses were tailored for me is what screwed me up the most. If I had taken these courses at a regular pace like the other students within my class, I could've excelled. But taking on 3 science courses (orgo, bio & physics) at once with 2 other classes is extremely difficult. My point is that as I wished I would've had the proper guidance to take an extra year & space out my classes properly because cramming majority core sciences classes isn't a good idea at all & I learned it the hard way unfortunately because I listened to my pharmacy guidance counselor. I reached out for help to take an extra year & they didn't allow me. I know that I can do extremely well if I do the prerequisites again. And I know undergrad courses alone isn't what'll only determine my success in pharmacy school. It's also time management, having effective study skills tailored for each class & being able to handle the pharmacy courses based off of an understanding of the basic sciences I take in undergrad which builds off of it in pharm school. There's a reason why they have a set course track for students to allow them to develop time management but I wasn't allowed to be on that track because of a writing course that was a pre-/co-requisite for Gen Bio. That's what mainly got me into this mess. And no I'm not making excuses because most people don't understand my situation & I don't expect them to either. I was at an unfair disadvantage & I had to wait one whole year to take Gen Bio because they don't offer it off season nor allow me to take science courses in the summer unless you failed.

What people are trying to say is that those 3 core science classes together is still going to be less challenging than what you experience in pharmacy school. So, the question is what caused you to do poorly while in those three classes that you are going to be able to fix for a much harder schedule.
 
I understand where you're coming from but the way my courses were tailored for me is what screwed me up the most. If I had taken these courses at a regular pace like the other students within my class, I could've excelled. But taking on 3 science courses (orgo, bio & physics) at once with 2 other classes is extremely difficult. My point is that as I wished I would've had the proper guidance to take an extra year & space out my classes properly because cramming majority core sciences classes isn't a good idea at all & I learned it the hard way unfortunately because I listened to my pharmacy guidance counselor. I reached out for help to take an extra year & they didn't allow me. I know that I can do extremely well if I do the prerequisites again. And I know undergrad courses alone isn't what'll only determine my success in pharmacy school. It's also time management, having effective study skills tailored for each class & being able to handle the pharmacy courses based off of an understanding of the basic sciences I take in undergrad which builds off of it in pharm school. There's a reason why they have a set course track for students to allow them to develop time management but I wasn't allowed to be on that track because of a writing course that was a pre-/co-requisite for Gen Bio. That's what mainly got me into this mess. And no I'm not making excuses because most people don't understand my situation & I don't expect them to either. I was at an unfair disadvantage & I had to wait one whole year to take Gen Bio because they don't offer it off season nor allow me to take science courses in the summer unless you failed.


" the way my courses were tailored for me is what screwed me up"
What you really mean
"the way I setup and planned my courses is what screwed me up"


"I wished I would've had the proper guidance"
What you really mean
"I wish i would've put the time in to do research on my future instead of watching netflix and playing on facebook all day"

"I reached out for help to take an extra year & they didn't allow me."
What you really mean
"I failed to accurately prepare and plan MY academic future"

" I wasn't allowed to be on that track because of a writing course that was a pre-/co-requisite for Gen Bio. That's what mainly got me into this mess. "
What you really mean
"I completely failed to put even the bare minimum amount of effort into planning my class schedule and researching the proper policies and requirements at my school. My ignorance and failure to plan is mainly what got me into MY mess"
 
" the way my courses were tailored for me is what screwed me up"
What you really mean
"the way I setup and planned my courses is what screwed me up"


"I wished I would've had the proper guidance"
What you really mean
"I wish i would've put the time in to do research on my future instead of watching netflix and playing on facebook all day"

"I reached out for help to take an extra year & they didn't allow me."
What you really mean
"I failed to accurately prepare and plan MY academic future"

" I wasn't allowed to be on that track because of a writing course that was a pre-/co-requisite for Gen Bio. That's what mainly got me into this mess. "
What you really mean
"I completely failed to put even the bare minimum amount of effort into planning my class schedule and researching the proper policies and requirements at my school. My ignorance and failure to plan is mainly what got me into MY mess"

The whole point of this post is that I'm going to try again REGARDLESS of what you say/think because that's what I want to do. You don't know my struggle & I don't care how much you judge me because you have no right to judge at all. You don't know me & nor have you experienced this just because you're in pharmacy school! And how do you know "I failed to accurately prepare and plan MY academic future"? I worked extremely hard & researched & planned but if a school doesn't allow me to plan properly it's simple I leave & start somewhere else without getting into the same situation again. If it says in their policy that no one is subject to deviate from the course unless approved by the adviser. Since the adviser disapproved what else am I supposed to do? So stop with bull***t & being such a smart ass without knowing the facts. I never said I didn't acknowledge what I did wrong in this school. No one ever knows the proper way to do things & I'm sure you don't either because clearly other people have been able to get past messes like these. So do your research my fellow pharmacy student! Then again I can't change your attitude so might as well just overlook your negativity & move on.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What people are trying to say is that those 3 core science classes together is still going to be less challenging than what you experience in pharmacy school. So, the question is what caused you to do poorly while in those three classes that you are going to be able to fix for a much harder schedule.
It was time management mainly, I got overwhelmed when I didn't understand a topic for orgo & when I spent too much time with that class, I fell behind in physics & bio as well. Bio I was able to cope it up but my exam scores weren't as high as it should've been. The other classes I got through easily but focusing on all 3 detailed courses at once was challenging.
 
I mean if you think physics, bio, and orgo together is tough just wait. It only gets harder. I know you don't want to hear it but it's true.
I know it will be from what I've heard but people act like I'm forbidden from doing these pre-requisites...I don't expect it to get any easier from here
 
Maybe not easier but a different learning style might suit you better. For example, my school has a block system, we focus on one subject at a time, so you wouldn't have to worry about taking anything together.
 
Maybe not easier but a different learning style might suit you better. For example, my school has a block system, we focus on one subject at a time, so you wouldn't have to worry about taking anything together.
Can you explain this a little more in depth? I'm curious to know because I've never heard of it before. I know in my situation it won't be possible to take one subject at a time if I still want to do pharmacy & take PCATs in time. I'm curious to know what kind of learning style you utilized. So if you have any tips for me it would be greatly appreciated 🙂
 
" I'm pretty sure you wouldn't just drop everything & commute back home every single day if there were no other places to stay on campus. " Do you even realize how privileged you are to have a home to commute from? Staying on campus is a luxury. My parents are dead and I sleep in a van on a city street near my school. I consider living in a van to be a blessing because there are plenty of less fortunate people living on the streets. It's not "drop everything" it's called being a mature and responsible adult. I don't know what kinda glucose-coated mansion you grew up in but this is the real world. Grow up and apply to some nursing programs though with your work ethic I don't even know if that will be a viable career choice for you.

...... At the sake of your expense, Chris Farley and van down by the river popped up in my head. Jeez, are you real?
 
Can you explain this a little more in depth? I'm curious to know because I've never heard of it before. I know in my situation it won't be possible to take one subject at a time if I still want to do pharmacy & take PCATs in time. I'm curious to know what kind of learning style you utilized. So if you have any tips for me it would be greatly appreciated 🙂
It sounded like you were having trouble taking bio, physics and orgo together. Not sure if it was because you had trouble balancing your focus on different subjects. My pharmacy school does one subject every 2 weeks. You would still have to study hard but you don't have to juggle between subjects.
 
It sounded like you were having trouble taking bio, physics and orgo together. Not sure if it was because you had trouble balancing your focus on different subjects. My pharmacy school does one subject every 2 weeks. You would still have to study hard but you don't have to juggle between subjects.
I'd rather do that but my schools doesn't have an option like that. If you don't mind me asking, where do you go?