Do I have a chance in hell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ussdfiant

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope that you guys will be brutally honest with your opinions. I am a 30yr African American male applying to PCOM and UMDNJSOM. I graduated from an Ivy League school in 1994. I took all my premeds and did really, REALLY poorly (Fs, Ds. My last premed course at Penn was in 1991) I made it out with a 2.21 overall GPA and a BA in History. I have no med experience (been in insurance since 1994). From May 2000 to May 2001 I enrolled in a post bac program at Temple and took all the premed courses again.(2 semesters each of bio, physics, gen chem, org chem all with labs) My GPA for the entire program was a 3.93(two A-). Took the MCAT in April, 10 verbal, 9 Bio, 8 Phys, O written. I am curious to know the opinions of the forum. BTW, got accepted to Temple Podiatric but deferred acceptance for a year to see if I could get in to PCOM et al. Opinions? Please be honest!

Members don't see this ad.

One other thing, I just sent my primary off electronically today (August 1, 2001). Don't know if that helps but as I said, until recently, I was going to go to Pod school.

While your undegrad grades weren't good, your post-bac grades are superior. Your MCAT scores are also fine. But you definitely need to have clinical exposure. I suggest you call and shadow some DO's in your town. CALL THEM TOMORROW and start ASAP!!!! This will help you out. Just remember, next to grades and scores you need to have something in your application that shows that you know what medicine is all about. Good luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second jephyboy - you need some clinical (work and or volunteer experience) exposure to show the ad coms that
1. you know what you're getting into
2. you're serious about osteopathy and
3. that you've put some thought into it (although the podiatry school thing shows your interest in medicine).
It does sound like your post-bac and MCATs are very competitive. Just remember, if you want it bad enough - DON'T GIVE UP. But to me, it sounds like you have a shot. :)

If you are a URM you should have no problem with your stats. If I were you. I would also consider applying at some allopathic schools. Good luck.

I have served on a selection committee. If you were appling to that school, you would definately get an interview. Know your stuff for your interview, i.e. what was said above, and you'll be in a good position. (Depends on applicant pool after that)

Good Luck

I am assuming that "URM" mention in an earlier post is underrepresented minority. Is that right? Also, I appreciate everyone's opinions/advice. I have to say that I was/am really nervious about deferring the Pod school admission (a bird in the hand...). Should I be worried about sending in my primary so late (August 1, 2001)? Thanks again for the input!

URM is the same as underrepresented minority. I think it is natural to be a little worried about the possibility of losing "the bird in the hand" but it does take courage to risk that in order to go for what is truly your dream. It sounds like you would rather be a physician than a podiatrist, so go for it! I doubt that you are too late with your primary application, but you should be sure to get your transcripts, letters and scores in as soon as you can. If you are taking the August mcat then thy to have everything at your selected schools so that your file is complete when the scores come in. I took the August test last year and the scores did not come in until late October (the earliest for complete primary files), and I was accepted at several schools. Keep the faith and go for your real dream!

In the 2 months since I first posted this I have completed my ACCOMAS primary, shadowed 6 DOs in 6 specialties (OMM, Rad, Peds, Pulmonary, Path, and Neonatology), been to an Open House at PCOM, read Gevitz, and submitted secondaries to the only 2 Osteopathic schools I am applying to (PCOM and UMDNJSOM). I feel that everything is out of my hands now as I wait to hear about interviews. To those who have interviews at the schools I mentioned, how long after your secondaries were submitted was it before you received interviews?

If I were you, I would call the school after two weeks and verify that everything is there. You seem to have a great drive in you. Don't let go of this. Another thing I will throw out there is letters of recs. You need to have a solid one from a DO. This will show your intent and understanding of what you are about to embark on. Best of luck.

ussdfiant

You seem like you really want this. When it's time for your interview, let the interviewers know this too.

From the looks of it, I think you definitely have a great chance of getting in.

Good Luck. ;)

Yesterday I received an interview invite from UMDNJ and today I received one from PCOM! These are the only osteopathic schools I applied to, so the wait for interviews is over!

ussdfiant

Congrats! I want to go to PCOM too. How did you find 6 DO's willing to let you shadow them? I contacted 2 DO's...one said no, the other didn't respond. I'm from NYC.

Thanks.

tnt,

I literally called dozens of DOs in a variety of specialties and only got those six responses. I called mainly hospitals as opposed to private practices and just kept calling. Hospital departments tend to have more than 1 DO so there tends to be more opportunity to shadow. My advice is to call hospitals in your area (and NYCOM)and keep on top of them.

ussdfiant,

I followed your advice, and so far I have 2 DO's who are willing to let me talk to them. My question to you is...Did you ask the DO's you worked with to write your LOR's? if so, how long did you spend with them? How did you go abt asking them? I am afraid that the doctors won't know me very well if i only spend a couple of hours with them...

tnt,

I only shadowed those 6 DOs to gain some exposure to what different specialties are like. My family doctor is a DO and he wrote my letter of recommendation.

ussdfiant,

Just curious ...why did'nt you apply to any allopathic schools. I think you could have gotten at a couple of places.

Soupbone
UASOM IV

I eventually did apply to some allopathic schools in my area (Jefferson, Temple, and Hahnemann) to maximize my chances of going somewhere next year (although Osteo is still my first choice). Just to give you an idea of the AACOMAS vs AMCAS timeline, I am already receiving interviews for osteopathic schools while AMCAS has JUST verified my primary and sending it to schools. I am not nearly as upset as the folks on the pre-allopathic board because I feel that Osteopathic schools are a better fit for me.

drdrtoledo,

I have not taken any graduate level coursework. The post-bac program at Temple consisted of the pre-med reqs. I originally took my pre-med reqs over 10 years ago and did very poorly when I took them (Ds and Fs). That may have had something to do with Temple letting me take them again as a post-bac. If you successfully completed your pre-med reqs and have a graduate degree I personally think that it would be a waste of time to go back to school to take them again. I did so because I really screwed up the first time I took them and felt that med schools needed to see what I'm capable of now.

ussdfiant:

I'm coming from a similiar situ.. poor in undergrad, good in grad/post-bacc. During my PCOM interview I got: "What is the greatest factor that allowed you to excel in your graduate education compared to your undergrad work?"

Remember to "take the bull by the horns." If you did bad in undergrad, be sure to bring it up. Tell them why and show them how you've worked to improve.

Remember you age is a bonus. Use you're life experiences to tell them why being a osteopathic physician is right for you. Don't worry about the insurance background - I was in the nightclub industry for 12 years.

Secret to goals: He who is most committed to their outcome - wins.

Good luck and keep us posted (pun intended) :p

-A

Amra,

Thanks for the tips and the heads up! I am going to focus on them this weekend, before Wednesday!

Well, I guess I have my answer! I have just been accepted to UMDNJSOM! I suppose that I really do have a chance in hell!!! Thanks to everyone here for your advice and support during these last 4 months.