Do I have a chance in...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspacman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
2.77 GPA, MCAT 36S, Female URM. Graduated from one of the top Ivy League schools. Tons of research, have even published. Lots of clinical experience - shadowing and clinical research.

I want to apply for the class entering in Fall 2005. I am a Texas resident. Do I have a chance at all to get into any medical school? (M.D.)??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

MCATs good. Extracurricular's good. School's good. GPA's not good. URM status AND female makes you very cool. So more than likely you'll get in somewhere.

Originally posted by TTSD
MCATs good. Extracurricular's good. School's good. GPA's not good. URM status AND female makes you very cool. So more than likely you'll get in somewhere.

actually in '03, for the first time, more than 50% of applicants were female.

but overall, i agree with TTSD that the OP has a great chance at getting in somewhere. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
as a URM with a 36, you have EXCELLENT chances! Good luck and go fer it!

Originally posted by mspacman
2.77 GPA, MCAT 36S, Female URM. Graduated from one of the top Ivy League schools. Tons of research, have even published. Lots of clinical experience - shadowing and clinical research.

I want to apply for the class entering in Fall 2005. I am a Texas resident. Do I have a chance at all to get into any medical school? (M.D.)??

Thanks

Is there a legitimate reason why you had a 2.77 (e.g. medical) or did you just smoke blunts all day?

Originally posted by Alexander99
Is there a legitimate reason why you had a 2.77 (e.g. medical) or did you just smoke blunts all day?

If Counterstrike was a legitimate reason for a lousy GPA :-\

Yea I miss counterstrike. Back in freshman year we had clans and my clan was pretty good.

Anyways, to the OP, you should be fine although a 2.7 is really low.

Arggg... d*** that game and its addictive goodness!! Looks like its claimed another hapless victim.

If you can explain that 2.77 you're in very good shape.

Haha...That would account for my 3.03 and 2.91 BCPM. I quit 3 years ago and my GPA's been going up...

Now what to tell the adcoms?

I guess there could be a medical explanation. I was really depressed most of the time. There is a Slight upward trend in my GPA.. but not really. Mostly I just sucked at science classes, although I did make an A in biochem and an A in molecular bio. But the rest of my science grades just sucked.

Also, I think I was just a really bad fit for my undergrad school. I should have transferred early on, but stayed. I think that affected my grades too.

So if you really suck at sciences, how are you going to convince the adcoms that you'll do well in med school?

I guess there could be a medical explanation. I was really depressed most of the time. There is a Slight upward trend in my GPA.. but not really. Mostly I just sucked at science classes, although I did make an A in biochem and an A in molecular bio. But the rest of my science grades just sucked.

..dudette, that's not cool then if you suck at science courses.

While the MCAT is a good indicator, it could also just mean you're a good standardized test taker. Remember, medical school is ALL science classes.

Do you mean you just did poorly in them because you didn't study enough?

I understand the depression part. Part of the reason why I was sucked into CS was because I was under some pretty bad depressive episodes (have a dysfunctional family would do that to you).

So what was the trend?

Originally posted by premed
Haha...That would account for my 3.03 and 2.91 BCPM. I quit 3 years ago and my GPA's been going up...

Now what to tell the adcoms?

LOL. Agreed. For the past two and a bit years I've taken no less than 3 upper division science courses a quarters that routinely fail large chunks of their students and done well. But it's still not enough to make up for the sins that plague my past.. especially when I sinned in the core "premed" requirements.

Well if do a masters program and get good grades, you should be in good shape to be accpeted to many MD schools.

I didnt mean I just plainly suck at science. I like science. I did better in the upper level, and particularly the smaller courses. I think I just got lost in the big intro classes with 150 students. I think I spent a lot of time studying, but not focusing enough. I definitely wasnt out partying all the time or anything like that. Maybe I was watching TV or sleeping... but probably not partying.

Also, I think I would have done a lot better had I been surrounded by people who were also pre-med, and studied with them. My group of friends was anything but pre-med. A lot of the time I underestimated the amount of time necessary to prepare for exams. And a lot of the time I didnt go to class. I started to get better at this in my last 2 semesters.

I have ADD, if that counts for anything. It wasnt treated until kind of late in the game... (junior year). I also had some traumatic **** going on at home-- my dad was diagnosed with a terminal disease and my mom was in the hospital a couple of times for surgery. I didnt live at home (more like 2,000 miles away), but it was still on my mind a lot. Maybe being far away from home made it worse. I dont want it to sound like I am making excuses... but these were contributing factors.

I think that as long as you can explain why the 2.77 happened without making excuses, you are bank in Texas. You will probably have a shot elsewhere too... but to be honest, 2.77 is pretty low for med schools, especially since the bad grades are in science classes. I know some schools tell you to not even bother applying if you don't have at least a 3.0. :(

If money isn't too big of an issue, I would say go for it right out of undergrad and see what happens. Post-bacc or a Masters to prove that you can handle (ie B's, A's) science classes should solidify the deal if for some reason you fall short on the first try.

Good luck!

Thanks

Good chance of getting in. So this is to inflate your ego.

But then again, don't expect Duke to come running to you with scholarship offers in hand.

CCW

mspacman...

most of your profile seems really solid... female URM, that high MCAT and all the publications and shadowing and stuff... the GPA is kind of iffy though, but you know that.

that being said, as a TX resident, i'd say that you still stand a pretty decent shot... TX schools are very good about looking at applicants as a whole, and i've heard plenty of stories about applicants with some low stats still getting in here.

i think you can definitely go ahead and give it a chance this next cycle, but don't count on getting in... still prepare a plan for what you're going to do to improve your app if you don't get in for fall 2005 (masters, post bac would be good) and adcoms may give you some insight as well.

anyway, just echoing what the other posters have said... good luck to you, TX is a great state for med school applicants!