Do I have a chance? Open to ALL ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hahnster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been lurking around the forums and finally have the courage to come out and share my story and my goals. Before I go into my story, I want to say that I have no excuses for where I am right now. So, I'm 24 years old and I currently don't have a bachelor's degree. I did some screwing around the past few years when it came to my education which resulted in:

Community College:
cGPA 2.67
Ws:9

University:
cGPA .083
(Had to withdraw last semester because of family medical emergencies and had to assist with bill which resulted in F's the whole semester.)

Total credits: 73

The last year I have been working to help my family out and I always thought about med school, but circumstances and life got in the way. I have always had a heart for children as I am currently working as an after school teacher and have traveled to Mexico almost twice a year ever since high school to aid the kids. I currently aspire to get into the field of pediatrics and was wondering if I should continue to go for med school. I plan to go back to school this summer and start my science courses. I know everything is hypothetical and I won't know for sure until I try, but I guess what I'm trying to get is some realistic views on if I still have an opportunity for med school. And if I do, what sort of ECs should I do to boost my med school application? I appreciate and accept all criticism and views. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

To the point: You need to have finished a bachelors. I think minimum credit requirement is also somewhere around 90-100.

Medical school will test you and if you've not proven yourself with a bachelors which is a necessary requirement and no amount of volunteering/humanitarian work will substitute for that.

You sound like a good person but that's not the only component.

Being athletic doesn't mean you can play any sport. Being book smart doesn't mean you have great communication skills. Being a great speaker doesn't mean you are a great writer.

You need to prove yourself academically. Talk to an academic adviser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone! I've been lurking around the forums and finally have the courage to come out and share my story and my goals. Before I go into my story, I want to say that I have no excuses for where I am right now. So, I'm 24 years old and I currently don't have a bachelor's degree. I did some screwing around the past few years when it came to my education which resulted in:

Community College:
cGPA 2.67
Ws:9

University:
cGPA .083
(Had to withdraw last semester because of family medical emergencies and had to assist with bill which resulted in F's the whole semester.)

Total credits: 73

The last year I have been working to help my family out and I always thought about med school, but circumstances and life got in the way. I have always had a heart for children as I am currently working as an after school teacher and have traveled to Mexico almost twice a year ever since high school to aid the kids. I currently aspire to get into the field of pediatrics and was wondering if I should continue to go for med school. I plan to go back to school this summer and start my science courses. I know everything is hypothetical and I won't know for sure until I try, but I guess what I'm trying to get is some realistic views on if I still have an opportunity for med school. And if I do, what sort of ECs should I do to boost my med school application? I appreciate and accept all criticism and views. Thank you!
Oh, you're not dead yet, but you're circling the drain.
You need to visit your school's learning or education center for help with time mgt , study skills etc.

And you also need to know when to say no to family, and prioritize your studies, If not, drop out, work and then go to school at some time in the future when you're ready to be a student. You should inquire if you can get retroactive withdrawals from your courses.

Also, see a counselor and develop coping skills.

Then read these:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your insight! I do plan on finish my bachelors degree within 3 semesters. Where should I focus my attention as it comes to ECs? I'm not that interested in research as I want to focus on pediatrics and would rather do more shadowing and get clinical experience, but would that hurt my application if I don't have any research experience?

Thank you so much for your insight! I do plan on finish my bachelors degree within 3 semesters. Where should I focus my attention as it comes to ECs? I'm not that interested in research as I want to focus on pediatrics and would rather do more shadowing and get clinical experience, but would that hurt my application if I don't have any research experience?

Research is not an official requirement. You may change your mind after being exposed to a clinical researcher physician. Lot's of pediatric genetic diseases that need probing and are quite interesting to explore. Research is valued because it shows that you have an ability to think critically also just exposure to it would be better than avoiding it entirely.

Anyway won't be your biggest concern. If you enjoy the clinic then do that.

Show a positive trend in your grades and do well on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, I just want to call attention to the fact that you have 73 credits taken (probably none earned?) with almost all F's+ poor community college grades . To have even something of a realistic shot at DO school, I would think a minimum overall cGPA and sGPA of 3.0 would be necessary. Not saying it's impossible, but suggest doing some math first to see how many credits at mostly A's you would need to earn to reach that before embarking on this journey. This could be hard when a Bachelor degree is typically 125 credits.

Not saying you can't do it--I have friends who have made remarkable turnarounds and their early academic failings were not related to ability. But please, make sure an acceptable GPA is mathematically feasible. Pragmatism sometimes supersedes ambition and power of will

Additionally, maybe a 2.5 overall GPA with three years of straight A's would be acceptable for DO. I don't know. Maybe @Goro and other advisers might have insight. I am simply suggesting you figure out the math before diving into the deep end of the pool

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OP, I just want to call attention to the fact that you have 73 credits taken (probably none earned?) with almost all F's+ poor community college grades . To have even something of a realistic shot at DO school, I would think a minimum overall cGPA and sGPA of 3.0 would be necessary. Not saying it's impossible, but suggest doing some math first to see how many credits at mostly A's you would need to earn to reach that before embarking on this journey. This could be hard when a Bachelor degree is typically 125 credits.

Not saying you can't do it--I have friends who have made remarkable turnarounds and their early academic failings were not related to ability. But please, make sure an acceptable GPA is mathematically feasible. Pragmatism sometimes supersedes ambition and power of will

Additionally, maybe a 2.5 overall GPA with three years of straight A's would be acceptable for DO. I don't know. Maybe @Goro and other advisers might have insight. I am simply suggesting you figure out the math before diving into the shallow end of the pool

Best of luck!
Hey thanks for the reply! Just want to verify some info. I have 73 earned credits. (61 at CC and 12 at University) At the university, there’s only 12 credits that resulted in an F because I had to leave mid semester. I did the math and if I get straight As with the remainder courses I can bring up my gpa to 3.1. While I know it’s easier said than done, there is a chance I can bring my gpa up. And if I were to have a high uptrend in my grades for the next two years, would that show I’m able to handle the work of med school?

I completely understand what you've been through and I can respect your passion for children and giving back to them. I definitely want to see you do well since you seem to have a great back story but there are several things you have to start doing. One, you've got to take responsibility moving forward. Yes, you had family stuff that you had to deal with and all, but know that it is a sacrifice that you have take for them. At the same time, you seem too smart of a person to be getting that low of a GPA even if you were assisting family. There are 24 hours in a day and even if you're working 16 of them, you have another 8 use to complete course work. But thats all in the past.

Moving forward, if you want medical school to actually be a goal then i have some advice. First, everything you do moving forward academically, has to be flawless. There are going to be medical schools that see your old transcript and will throw your application in the trash regardless. For something you're passionate about, this is a risk you have to take. Obviously, you need to get a bachelor's degree and you need to dominate classes this time around. Not 3.6 or 3.7. I'm talking 3.9+. Yes, it's hard but you've really got to show medical schools that the low grades were just a fluke bc of the hard times you were going through. Medical schools want to know that you can handle the academic rigors and trust me, it's brutal. So if you can't manage to score a good GPA in an academic university setting, how can you manage a medical school caliber exam every 2-6 weeks? So make sure that you focus on doing well academically. In addition to that, do well on your MCAT's. Don't rush the prep and take your time with it. If you can get a strong score and improve your GPA, you at least have a shot at getting an interview. you have the 'grit' aspect of the application and seem to be a guy looking out for his family, which i respect, BUT the other half is showing adcoms that you have the brains to get through a rigorous curriculum.

But before you go this route, make sure its something you really really want. People have this dream of becoming a physician and let me tell you, it can be rough. Unless it's something you're genuinely passionate about and can't live without, I would recommend doing something else with kids, like social work or pediatric nursing or NP. But it's all up to you. Medical school is possible but its going to require you to take yourself to a level you've never been before. Whatever route you choose, I wish you good luck!

One more piece of advice is that no matter how applications go, never apply to any overseas medical schools, if you plan to practice in the USA. This will make your life significantly easier.

Other things I saw going through the responses: Research is a must for you because of your academic background. You need medical schools to believe that you're scholarly to an extent. I'm not saying cure ALL but do something that shows a research interest. Maybe a clinical pediatric case study or something. As far as shadowing, just do something. Quality is better than quantity. If you have time, maybe try being an EMT. Sadly, you'll likely see some sad cases involving children, but I think that kind of experience is invaluable. Show dedication to the field in your EC's and you'll be fine in the clinical side of things.

Reactions: 3 users
I completely understand what you've been through and I can respect your passion for children and giving back to them. I definitely want to see you do well since you seem to have a great back story but there are several things you have to start doing. One, you've got to take responsibility moving forward. Yes, you had family stuff that you had to deal with and all, but know that it is a sacrifice that you have take for them. At the same time, you seem too smart of a person to be getting that low of a GPA even if you were assisting family. There are 24 hours in a day and even if you're working 16 of them, you have another 8 use to complete course work. But thats all in the past.

Moving forward, if you want medical school to actually be a goal then i have some advice. First, everything you do moving forward academically, has to be flawless. There are going to be medical schools that see your old transcript and will throw your application in the trash regardless. For something you're passionate about, this is a risk you have to take. Obviously, you need to get a bachelor's degree and you need to dominate classes this time around. Not 3.6 or 3.7. I'm talking 3.9+. Yes, it's hard but you've really got to show medical schools that the low grades were just a fluke bc of the hard times you were going through. Medical schools want to know that you can handle the academic rigors and trust me, it's brutal. So if you can't manage to score a good GPA in an academic university setting, how can you manage a medical school caliber exam every 2-6 weeks? So make sure that you focus on doing well academically. In addition to that, do well on your MCAT's. Don't rush the prep and take your time with it. If you can get a strong score and improve your GPA, you at least have a shot at getting an interview. you have the 'grit' aspect of the application and seem to be a guy looking out for his family, which i respect, BUT the other half is showing adcoms that you have the brains to get through a rigorous curriculum.

But before you go this route, make sure its something you really really want. People have this dream of becoming a physician and let me tell you, it can be rough. Unless it's something you're genuinely passionate about and can't live without, I would recommend doing something else with kids, like social work or pediatric nursing or NP. But it's all up to you. Medical school is possible but its going to require you to take yourself to a level you've never been before. Whatever route you choose, I wish you good luck!

One more piece of advice is that no matter how applications go, never apply to any overseas medical schools, if you plan to practice in the USA. This will make your life significantly easier.

Other things I saw going through the responses: Research is a must for you because of your academic background. You need medical schools to believe that you're scholarly to an extent. I'm not saying cure ALL but do something that shows a research interest. Maybe a clinical pediatric case study or something. As far as shadowing, just do something. Quality is better than quantity. If you have time, maybe try being an EMT. Sadly, you'll likely see some sad cases involving children, but I think that kind of experience is invaluable. Show dedication to the field in your EC's and you'll be fine in the clinical side of things.

This guy has great advise OP. I would like to suggest that you take science classes for a year, and if you get straight A's or close, follow this path. If you don't, move on to something with children and families that you will enjoy. And always have a backup plan built in. And a backup plan for that backup plan.

E.I. "If I don't get into to medical school, I will apply to PA school, and if that doesn't work, I will apply to BSN programs to become an FNP, and if that falls through, I will use the social work electives I've been taking to finish a social work degree and help families that way."

lol thanks man, but I actually graduate medical school this year.

Oh! My mistake lol. Guess we’re both graduating. Waiting for the match results. In that case, may you match at your number 1.

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you for this! I know I really want to follow the path of becoming a Doctor and I understand fully how difficult it will be, but I don't want to be 34 and thinking about what would've happened if I tried to pursue becoming a doctor. I would rather try and fail, then regret trying my whole life. If it doesn't work out, then worst case is I'll have a degree and can pursue other fields. I know it's a long journey from here and I'm ready to grow up and really give education a try. I didn't appreciate education the first time around, but now I've come to really appreciate it and know how important it is. Thank you again for your advice. I hope in 2-3 years I can look back on this discussion and see how far I've come.

Thank you for this! I know I really want to follow the path of becoming a Doctor and I understand fully how difficult it will be, but I don't want to be 34 and thinking about what would've happened if I tried to pursue becoming a doctor. I would rather try and fail, then regret trying my whole life. If it doesn't work out, then worst case is I'll have a degree and can pursue other fields. I know it's a long journey from here and I'm ready to grow up and really give education a try. I didn't appreciate education the first time around, but now I've come to really appreciate it and know how important it is. Thank you again for your advice. I hope in 2-3 years I can look back on this discussion and see how far I've come.

Then by all means, go for it!! I'll be rooting for you Hahnster!!! You definitely sound like someone that deserves a real shot at med school, you just have to go hardcore!

I'm in a somewhat similar boat as you. Take it from me it's a marathon not a race you got this. As to your point on taking summer classes, I performed better in summer classes because it's everyday work ( I love it ) but that's just me. W's look better than F's there's no way you shouldn't be able to get into MD or DO school. I like your chances of getting into both!

I'm in a somewhat similar boat as you. Take it from me it's a marathon not a race you got this. As to your point on taking summer classes, I performed better in summer classes because it's everyday work ( I love it ) but that's just me. W's look better than F's there's no way you shouldn't be able to get into MD or DO school. I like your chances of getting into both!

OP has been gone a significant amount of time, but he should not like his chances. It’s an uphill battle, and he should see it as such. You should too.

Getting all A’s after a pattern of poor grades does not just happen. It’s much harder to get all A’s than it is to add up what your GPA will be if you get all A’s for three years, etc.

Students that do are impressive because they show grit, intelligence, and are rare. Old habits die hard, and most people that struggle in science classes for a few semester probably can’t and won’t ever get straight A’s.

Edit: Medical schools will not run out of people with near spotless academic records. You have to show them you are special in other ways, along with getting an acceptable GPA. Many many of my friends had 3.8 to 4.0 sGPA