Do I have a chance to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cs558

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 24 and a '10 graduate from a chemical engineering program. I realized late that engineering wasn't for me so I decided to pursue something healthcare related. I finished my bachelors because I only had a year left. After research and some shadowing I fell in love with dentistry. So, I finished the bio hours needed for pre-dental.

Here is my concern. I have a pitiful gpa (2.9 overall, 3 science), no thanks to poor study habits my freshman and sophomore year. My dat scores are

AA - 19
Bio - 20
GC - 18
OC - 17
QR - 19
RC - 21
PA - 21

I have about 10 hours shadowing and volunteer experience a piece. According to my pre-health advisor, my letter of evaluation is the best she's ever read. Will all of this be sufficient for getting into or interviewing with any of the 8 schools to which I have applied? If not, what can I do to improve my chances?

The schools are university of ms,nj, il at Chicago, tx at san Antonio and Houston, nc at chapel hill, nyu and nova southeastern.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am 24 and a '10 graduate from a chemical engineering program. I realized late that engineering wasn't for me so I decided to pursue something healthcare related. I finished my bachelors because I only had a year left. After research and some shadowing I fell in love with dentistry. So, I finished the bio hours needed for pre-dental.

Here is my concern. I have a pitiful gpa (2.9 overall, 3 science), no thanks to poor study habits my freshman and sophomore year. My dat scores are

AA - 19 I have about 10 hours shadowing and volunteer
Bio - 20 experience a piece. According to my pre-health advisor, my letter of
GC - 18 evaluation is the best she's ever read. Will all of this be sufficient for
OC - 17 getting into or interviewing with any of the 8 schools to which I have
RC - 21 applied? If not, what can I do to improve my chances?
QR - 19
PA - 21 The schools are university of ms,nj, il at Chicago, tx at san Antonio and
Houston, nc at chapel hill, nyu and nova southeastern.

Your DAT isn't bad, so I think you are fine there. Your GPA is pretty low, but I have always heard rumors of schools loving chem-E degrees. No idea if there are any stats to back that up.

I'm not sure of what further you could do this cycle, but if you happen to not get in, just take some post-bacc upper level science like Immunology, Biochemistry, Embryology, Physiology, etc, and do well in them.

AA - 19
Bio - 20
GC - 18
OC - 17
QR - 19
RC - 21
PA - 21

I have about 10 hours shadowing and volunteer experience a piece. According to my pre-health advisor, my letter of evaluation is the best she's ever read. Will all of this be sufficient for getting into or interviewing with any of the 8 schools to which I have applied? If not, what can I do to improve my chances?

The schools are university of ms,nj, il at Chicago, tx at san Antonio and Houston, nc at chapel hill, nyu and nova southeastern.

Sub 3.0 GPA will give you trouble landing interviews... unless you have a serious upward trend in junior + senior year

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately I think it is the case that a lot of schools don't even look at your application if you fall under a certain threshold. That being said, it is not true for all of them. One, (Midwestern maybe?) takes off your two worst semesters in the average and then there are schools just opening up like LECOM that you might have a shot at.

Also 2.9 is really close to 3.0 and depending on how many credits you have taking some post-bac classes might be just what you need to get your application through the front door.