Do I have a chance - worth applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dak_Prescott

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a first year student in podiatry school, thinking about applying to DO schools if I have a chance at an acceptance. Thanks for your advice and guidance!

cGPA- 3.67
sGPA- 3.49
MCAT- 499

Texas resident with committee letter, MD letter (primary care), and PI letter. My last three semesters were 3.8, 4.0, 4.0 in upper level science courses. I have the regular ECs with clinical/non clinical volunteering, a few leadership positions, and a heavy amount of research, but no pubs. If you think I have a shot, I would appreciate advise on my school list as well.

List:
TCOM
VCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
LECOM
OSUCOM (strong ties to the state)
WVSOM
WCUSOM
BCOM
CUSOM

Members don't see this ad.

You my QB! I believe in you!

...I actually have no idea what your chances are but good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I would re-take the MCAT. If you score above a 505, I would expect to see multiple interviews. In fact, I know a couple people at my school from Texas with similar stats. PM me and Ill tell you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you've definitely got a shot for some DO interviews. MCAT above 500 would help even more but overall I think you'll be okay.

Low shot with a MCAT under 500. Only chances are with newer schools.

Why the switch from pod to DO?

I am currently a first year student in podiatry school, thinking about applying to DO schools if I have a chance at an acceptance. Thanks for your advice and guidance!

cGPA- 3.67
sGPA- 3.49
MCAT- 499

Texas resident with committee letter, MD letter (primary care), and PI letter. My last three semesters were 3.8, 4.0, 4.0 in upper level science courses. I have the regular ECs with clinical/non clinical volunteering, a few leadership positions, and a heavy amount of research, but no pubs. If you think I have a shot, I would appreciate advise on my school list as well.

List:
TCOM
VCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
LECOM
OSUCOM (strong ties to the state)
WVSOM
WCUSOM
BCOM
CUSOM

Add all three VCOMs, Wm Carey, Western, NYITCOM-AR, LMU, KYCOM, RVU-UT.

Chances are okay. GPA is pretty good. MCAT sucks but its not toxic for DO, especially with that GPA.

Strong ties to a state with a state school will help immensely.

Unless money is no object, skip Touro NY/CA, AZCOM, CCOM, RVU-Colorado, any state schools that aren't your own, and any schools with strong regional bias (PNW and NYIT-NY).

But honestly, with that GPA, you should just retake the damn mcat and shoot for MD.

You could get into a newer school, but if I were you I'd retake MCAT and apply next cycle. Your stats are good, one poor mcat showing can be overcome.