Aug 20, 2017
Status
Podiatry Student
I am currently a first year student in podiatry school, thinking about applying to DO schools if I have a chance at an acceptance. Thanks for your advice and guidance!

cGPA- 3.67
sGPA- 3.49
MCAT- 499

Texas resident with committee letter, MD letter (primary care), and PI letter. My last three semesters were 3.8, 4.0, 4.0 in upper level science courses. I have the regular ECs with clinical/non clinical volunteering, a few leadership positions, and a heavy amount of research, but no pubs. If you think I have a shot, I would appreciate advise on my school list as well.

List:
TCOM
VCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
LECOM
OSUCOM (strong ties to the state)
WVSOM
WCUSOM
BCOM
CUSOM

JibsGuy52

2+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I would re-take the MCAT. If you score above a 505, I would expect to see multiple interviews. In fact, I know a couple people at my school from Texas with similar stats. PM me and Ill tell you.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
What does strong ties mean to you?

If you get that MCAT up you have a decent chance at your in state MD schools. Even now it's still worth the app fees.

mc_bio19

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2017
Virginia
I think you've definitely got a shot for some DO interviews. MCAT above 500 would help even more but overall I think you'll be okay.

Nov 29, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Low shot with a MCAT under 500. Only chances are with newer schools.

Why the switch from pod to DO?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I am currently a first year student in podiatry school, thinking about applying to DO schools if I have a chance at an acceptance. Thanks for your advice and guidance!

cGPA- 3.67
sGPA- 3.49
MCAT- 499

Texas resident with committee letter, MD letter (primary care), and PI letter. My last three semesters were 3.8, 4.0, 4.0 in upper level science courses. I have the regular ECs with clinical/non clinical volunteering, a few leadership positions, and a heavy amount of research, but no pubs. If you think I have a shot, I would appreciate advise on my school list as well.

List:
TCOM
VCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
LECOM
WVSOM
WCUSOM
BCOM
CUSOM
Add all three VCOMs, Wm Carey, Western, NYITCOM-AR, LMU, KYCOM, RVU-UT.

Peach Newport

board certified in jewish dermatology
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Chances are okay. GPA is pretty good. MCAT sucks but its not toxic for DO, especially with that GPA.

Strong ties to a state with a state school will help immensely.

Unless money is no object, skip Touro NY/CA, AZCOM, CCOM, RVU-Colorado, any state schools that aren't your own, and any schools with strong regional bias (PNW and NYIT-NY).

But honestly, with that GPA, you should just retake the damn mcat and shoot for MD.

workaholic181

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You could get into a newer school, but if I were you I'd retake MCAT and apply next cycle. Your stats are good, one poor mcat showing can be overcome.