Do I Have a Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justchance1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Currently, I'm a sophomore in Electrical Engineering at a UC. Recently, though, I have felt that I may want to pursue medicine. Ever since then, that's all I've been thinking about. However, I do not know if I even have a chance. I currently have a 2.8 GPA. Would I have any chance? :) Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but you're going to have to start acing things from now on, including the MCAT.

Suggest identifying your deficits and fixing first. Seek out your school's learning or education center.

Hey everyone. Currently, I'm a sophomore in Electrical Engineering at a UC. Recently, though, I have felt that I may want to pursue medicine. Ever since then, that's all I've been thinking about. However, I do not know if I even have a chance. I currently have a 2.8 GPA. Would I have any chance? :) Thanks in advance.

Also, start doing some shadowing and clinical volunteering now. Make sure this is something you really want before you get too far along in the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really want to get into medicine change your major now. Engineering is a GPA killer for most folks and as a sophomore you have yet taken the difficult classes....

I think you have a chance. Shadow a few different doctors and try to discover what type of medicine intrigues you most. Oral surgery, plastics, family practice, physical therapy, optometry, physician assistant, and podiatry are great fields/specialties of medicine to explore. There's a lot in the medical field out there! I didn't realize podiatry was a great fit for me until I shadowed one and learned they could do surgery. Good luck with pursuing your passion :)