Do I have a chance?

Started by nursebae
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nursebae

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey family,
Long time lurker here, I'm talking about 3 years lol, but somehow I ran across the URM section this year and I finally have the courage to post. I'm looking to apply to med school in the 2020 cycle, since I have a couple more classes (physics, orgo, biochem) to take and MCAT. I already have a BSN and have been practicing nursing for 2 years. You all seem to be a group of supportive people who will give me the raw advice that I need. My stats are as follows:

Background: 25 yo F, Black Panamanian (latinegras represent :claps:)
cGPA: 3.35
sGPA: 3.4

I was in the USAFR for 6 years, so I have a lot of military leadership related awards and volunteering time. I'm currently married to an Army helo pilot, so I have a few EC points and volunteering for that as well. I speak fluent Spanish and I volunteered to work at a hospital in Mexico for 2 weeks. I shadowed a few ER physicians that I worked with for 30 hours and an IM physician for 8 hours.

I know there is a lot I still need to do but I just want to know if I'm on the right track to even begin with. I'm afraid that my GPA will count me out before I even start, not to mention the MCAT which I don't plan on taking until next winter. Any and all advice is welcome 👍