Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Troy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just stumbled upon this forum tonight and am most impressed by all the advice, tips and (for the most part) constructive criticisms given by many of you. So with that in mind I would like to ask for some of your gracious words of wisdom. I am 27 yrs old, married with two kids and have decided on a career as an Osteopath. My previous work experinces up to this point have been remedial, unfulfilling positions in the hospitality and retail industries. During my early years I went to college on and off for about 5 years while only completing the equivalent credit hours of a freshman. My grades were mediocre, an overall GPA 3.2 and science GPA 3.0 (terrible, yes I know). My sporadic college commitment and performance was due in large part to family and financial issues. Now that those issues have been resolved and I've grown up a bit and decided what I want to do, I have returned to school with great determination and fairly good results. My overall GPA now is a 3.45 and science GPA 3.75. I will be entering my senior year this upcoming fall. As far as my relevant extra curricular experiences go, I have about a month's hospital volunteering experience, a years experience as a physical therapy rehab aide (with patient care experience), I am currently participating in a NSF funded summer research/internship program at UCDavis, and I do believe I have secured adequate letters of recomendation from a DO as well as faculty. That's all good and dandy, where my concerns lie are as follows:

1. My GPA is a reflection of community college coursework, although I now attend one of the most highly regarded liberal arts colleges in the west, The Evergreen State College (not that it means much). The Evergreen transcript will not reflect a GPA because there are no grades at Evergreen, it is strictly evaluation only. So my GPA is "what it is" from the community college. Will the community college GPA be looked down upon?

2. I know I have some research/volunteer experience, is it adequate enough to be regarded as competitve?

3. I have not yet taken the MCAT, but am slated to attempt it this AUG, should I even bother applying for the year 2000 entering class? (Assuming I do well on the exam)

If any one could please respond with any kind of advice I would be most appreciative.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be happy to lend what advice I have to offer. By far, the most vital thing you need to improve is your confidence in yourself and your goals. Your post is filled with self-doubt and negative potentially self-fulfilling prophecy. Take heart, believe in yourself and what you are trying to accomplish. If you truly doubt your capabilities as much as I am perceiving, an interviewer will bring that out. So, my main advice...BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND YOUR CAUSE!

The fact your graded work is from a community college will be factor at some schools and others won't care. You should call the schools that most interest you for specifics. As long as you have not already submitted an app to a school, the admissions people can sit-down with you and objectively evaluate your application's strengths and weaknesses. I would contact a school or two and request an appointment with an admissions person for such an evaluation. This way, the school gets to know who you are and they will likely be impressed with your drive and committment.

The fact that you have significant research and volunteerism is a feather in your hat. However, if the oppotunity presents, more never hurts.

Taking the fall MCAT does put you at a disadvantage, especially if you don't already have EVERYTHING to the schools when they get the scores. It is not impossible to get interviews or acceptances taking the fall MCAT; but it is more difficult. If time is not a major issue, I would plan to not apply until the next cycle. Then you can take advantage of the additional time to buff up areas of your app that may be perceived as weak.

In addition, if your MCAT scores aren't where you want them, you have 2 opportunites to re-take it prior the deadlines.

Best of luck to you...remember, CONFIDENCE!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited July 13, 1999).]

Thanks Old Man Dave,

I appreciate your advice and you are completely right about my need to improve my confidence level. As long as I feel I have a chance, my confidence will become less of an issue. Once again....Thanks!!

Troy,

If your dream of going to space, you may at least reach for the sky.

If your dream is to climb Mt. Everest, you can at least reach for the Rockies.

If you dream of just to climb a tree, may be you never leave the ground.

So, have confidence and try your best. If your desire is to become a physician, give your very best shot. Hey, if you fail, nothing change, you just never lift off the ground.

But if you succeed, you can't imagine where you can ever reach.

I start med school when I am 30 years young and I believe I can make it to the destination. I plan to reach for the universe, then at least, I lift off the ground and start my journey.

A good physician should have some pride and confidence within his heart.

Make sure you have good preparation for the MCAT because it is not a easy test. However, don't get discourage if you didn't do well for the first time. Alot of us need to retake the test twice or even three times.

Endurance is the key for your success.

Good luck