do i have a chance??

Started by zaqmlp
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zaqmlp

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Do I have a chance of getting into any US medical school with these stats?? I have an overall GPA of 3.3 and a science/bcp gpa of 3.2. I have not taken the MCAT's yet.
 
It's impossible to say, especially since you haven't taken the mcat. I would say don't sit for the exam unless you are very ready for it, like 30+ on the practice exams. Your gpa is pretty low, but not anything that can't be overcome by a post-bac, a great mcat score, or an smp program.

Make sure your ec's and lors are very strong, write a good ps, apply broadly and extremely early, and I think you'll have a shot.
 
zaqmlp said:
Hi! Do I have a chance of getting into any US medical school with these stats?? I have an overall GPA of 3.3 and a science/bcp gpa of 3.2. I have not taken the MCAT's yet.


Depending on EC's and if you can score a ~34 on MCAT
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You don't need a 34.

If you get a 30, or even a 29 you have a chance. Most cut offs for applications to get read (so I've been told) are 3.0Sci which is usually lower than non-science.

The rest is up to you....

PhDtoDO
 
zaqmlp said:
Hi! Do I have a chance of getting into any US medical school with these stats?? I have an overall GPA of 3.3 and a science/bcp gpa of 3.2. I have not taken the MCAT's yet.

Hi,

You have a shot! I know of someone with a a lower GPA who did a post-bac program and rocked the MCATs! He got in to a state school and is doing fine. I would shoot for a 30 or above on the MCATs though. Unfortunately, MD schools number crunch and if you don't make the cutoff number you won't get an interview. I don't know much about DO school. I wish you the best! Also, remember to do original and extensive ECs to make you stand out as an applicant. Schools do look at ECs but I would first focus on rocking the MCAT and everything else should fall into place!

dulce
 
I say you should apply to some of these schools and you will most likely have a good score if you get a 27 on the MCAT:

Meharry Medical School
Medical College of Georgia
and
Des Moines Medical School
 
hellodoc said:
I say you should apply to some of these schools and you will most likely have a good score if you get a 27 on the MCAT:

Meharry Medical School
Medical College of Georgia
and
Des Moines Medical School


Only apply to meharry if you are african american otherwise you are competing for like 10 slots. When I went for an interview there, it was quite clear that they had many applicants to chose from to fill those 10 slots.
(The school showed us a diversity breakdown of their college during the interview).
 
ok i have a question. i'm going to be finishing my last two quarters soon, but my GPA isn't so stellar. actually. it sucks. 2.6 cum and 2.66 math/sci. i do have an MCAT score of 39 (13P/13B/13V). i guess my mcat could compensate somewhat for my GPA, but if i also have a good explanation for my low gpa, will i have a chance to get into at least one school? i guess i would rather take the post-bacc route if i have little to no chance of acceptance. thanks all.
 
FutureDoc84 said:
Wow. That is an ENORMOUS gap. Did you just do a complete 180 from undergrad with your study habits for the MCAT?

Yeah that's pretty crazy. I would say you'll need to get your GPA up to a 3.0...but you never know, especially if you have a very upward trend in your grades. I would say your best bet is a post bacc, as an SMP won't help your undergrad GPA at all. Retaking the classes you did poorly on and/or taking some upper div classes will help more. If you can get a 39 you can probably go back and add a bunch of 4.0's to your transcript....ideally getting it up to a 3.0.