do I have a chance?

Started by pathmad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pathmad

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,
I am an international grad (american citizen), I graduated in 2004, my scores are 229 for step 1 and 273 for step 2 and I've passed my cs, I've been volunteering at a research lab in the path department of a reputable hospital for 2 months now and I think I will be able to get 1 LOR from a pathologist there and 2 others from the post doc fellows that I work with, other than that I do not have any other research experiences or publications, I wanted to know if I have a chance at pathology as an FMG or not?😕
 
I am sure you could be ranked by many programs.

If I were an interviewer, I would be interested to know what you did between 2004 and two months ago. Also, if you could diversify your letters, that would be preferable. Perhaps the pathologist you work with could introduce you to someone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have you spent any time observing or doing an elective in the department on a pathology service? (Research is quite different from time on the surgical pathology service which tends to be the most intense and has the longest hours... you have to prove you at least have an inkling of what it is you are getting into.)

Also be ready to explain any gaps in your education/work experience since medical school.
 
I'd figure you have the chance, but I would ditch the letters from non-MD postdoctoral fellows in favor of LORs from clinicians who can at least speak to your intellectual ability and work ethic, even if they're not pathologists...

BH
 
It has already been said, but it probably depends on what you've been doing for three years.