Jul 15, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I just got my Step1 score and I got a 217. I had expected to do much better. The prob is I have always wanted to do optho. I have done research but no publications yet. I have done ok in all my classes. Involved in community projects. Is there a chance that I could prob get into an optho program? Or should I just give up and look for another specialty. I cant think of what other specialty I would possibly want to do. :(
Please help!!

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Orange, CA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just got my Step1 score and I got a 217. I had expected to do much better. The prob is I have always wanted to do optho. I have done research but no publications yet. I have done ok in all my classes. Involved in community projects. Is there a chance that I could prob get into an optho program? Or should I just give up and look for another specialty. I cant think of what other specialty I would possibly want to do. :(
Please help!!
You need to call your dean. He/she knows what students at your school have done. The dean of students at most school - they're biggest job is to make up the letters and advise students on where they are competitive. Shoot them an email and they should be able to tell you better than anyone here.

Apr 19, 2009
Status
Medical Student
You should check out the ophtho forum (if you haven't already). There some threads where ppl list their scores, other things about their app, where they applied, and where they matched... it might be helpful info for you.

fergustsi

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Please help!!

i want to say the avg optho match was 225 when i researched it, but i cant recall where i read this so, take what i said for what its worth.