Do I Have a Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rdhden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over all GPA: 3.5
Science + Math GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.45
DAT: 22
I am a RDH since 2006. Before I became a RDH, I worked in orthodontics field for 4 years. After I became a RDH, I started to work in general dental office. So I have 6 years work experience in dental field.
I took about 30 science crds before 2006, and I received Bs and Cs in those science classes. I entered college in 2002. I have 2 associates and one bachelor degree in public health. I started to take more science courses after I graduated from DH school. I did much better in the later science courses, I received mostly As and a few Bs.
Questions:
1. I am now 28. Female. Am I a little too old to enter DS?
2. What's my odds of getting accepted?
3. Do you think I should get a master before I apply?
4. Some of the science courses I took was more than 9 years ago, will they still calculate those?
5. I wasn't a good student when I was in HS, wasn't even close to top 50% tile. Will DS look at my HS transcript? Will I get rejected due to poor HS GPA?

PS. I really like my previous ortho experience. I like being a RDH and my patients despite the fact that some of them don't like to brush too often. I know I will like being a dentist even more, because I will be able to provide even more services.
Thank you in advance for reading and answering my questions:)

Members don't see this ad.

Over all GPA: 3.5
Science + Math GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.45
DAT: 22
I am a RDH since 2006. Before I became a RDH, I worked in orthodontics field for 4 years. After I became a RDH, I started to work in general dental office. So I have 6 years work experience in dental field.
I took about 30 science crds before 2006, and I received Bs and Cs in those science classes. I entered college in 2002. I have 2 associates and one bachelor degree in public health. I started to take more science courses after I graduated from DH school. I did much better in the later science courses, I received mostly As and a few Bs.
Questions:
1. I am now 28. Female. Am I a little too old to enter DS?
2. What's my odds of getting accepted?
3. Do you think I should get a master before I apply?
4. Some of the science courses I took was more than 9 years ago, will they still calculate those?
5. I wasn't a good student when I was in HS, wasn't even close to top 50% tile. Will DS look at my HS transcript? Will I get rejected due to poor HS GPA?

PS. I really like my previous ortho experience. I like being a RDH and my patients despite the fact that some of them don't like to brush too often. I know I will like being a dentist even more, because I will be able to provide even more services.
Thank you in advance for reading and answering my questions:)

1) No. The age range for enrollees goes from 19 ~ 40s
2) You will get in for sure, unless you bomb the PS or the interview.
3)With your GPA and DAT, I personally wouldn't do masters, for financial reasons and academically you are set, unless you show down trend.
4) They calculate everything.
5)No. They only care for the college coursework. If people did get rejected due to poor HS GPA, plenty of people wouldn't be in dental school or dentist.

For more information, check this link Mini Guide to dental school and buy the ADEA guide bookADEA GUIDE BOOK (just wait couple more months until newer version comes out with this years applicants stats).

Best luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh your stats are solid. I'm also an RDH but I haven't practiced as long as you have. Your DATs are also better than mine. If I can get acceptances, you can also. Apply early next June and try it out.

Great chances! Jealous of the edge you hygienists have...you guys will most likely have a much easier time in dent school!