Do I Have a Competitive Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

space whale

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums here so please bear with me if this question has been done to death already.

A bit of background info: I'm a current undergrad at UC Davis and have completed most of the prerequisite courses at this point with no grades below a B (A's in O.Chem, physics, Gen. Chem, Bio, and all my animal science courses). I've interned for three years at two separate small animal vet clinics and I have extensive animal experience (non-veterinary) with large animals. I have at least 500 hours of experience (including both vet- approx 300 hrs- and regular animal experience).

I've taken the GRE twice already; my highest scores (not from the same test day) are 87% vbl, 61% quantit, and 93% analytical.

My cumulative gpa is 3.76 and my sci gpa is likely slightly lower (approx 3.6).

I'm getting ready to apply to Western, Washington, Oregon State, Colorado, and Davis c/o 2019. I've heard that competitive gre scores are in the range of 70%, I'm worried that my slightly low quant is going to bring me down.

My question is, do my current gpa and gre scores make me a competitive applicant? Any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂