Do I have a higher chance of acceptance if I received an II early but interview later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

and 99 others

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, interviewing later does not necessarily decrease your chances of acceptance at a school because the schools meet and decide on interviewees in blocks, so if there are still seats open at the date that you are interviewing, then you still have a similar chance of acceptance.

In the same vein, applicants who receive earlier IIs are often the ones who are especially competitive for that school. So, if an applicant receives an II early, is it to their advantage to schedule their interview later on in the cycle as, at that point, most of the people interviewing will be the ones who have received the IIs later as well? In essence making it so that within the group of interviewees being considered in that block, the one who received the earlier II is likely a stronger applicant in comparison?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
...overthinking.
I'm mainly asking because I absolutely need to leave the country in within a week or two. This was unexpected and forced me to reschedule an interview at my top choice for nearly 2 months later. I'm trying to see if I can reschedule again and squeeze in the interview for sometime the next week or two, but if it is to my advantage to wait nearly 2 months, I'd rather do that.

Obviously this is school specific and there's no way for us to know. But logically if you wait a couple months and given rolling admissions, they will make decisions and admit students in your cohort before you interview, meaning there will be less available spots later. How much of a difference (if any) this makes isn't something anyone here would know unless they're an adcom for your particular school.

If you can do it earlier, it's probably to your slight advantage, but it's not likely to make a difference in the final decision.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Obviously this is school specific and there's no way for us to know. But logically if you wait a couple months and given rolling admissions, they will make decisions and admit students in your cohort before you interview, meaning there will be less available spots later. How much of a difference (if any) this makes isn't something anyone here would know unless they're an adcom for your particular school.

If you can do it earlier, it's probably to your slight advantage, but it's not likely to make a difference in the final decision.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile
I spoke to the school and they said there would still be enough spots left if I decided to interview later.

As I understand it, interviewing later does not necessarily decrease your chances of acceptance at a school because the schools meet and decide on interviewees in blocks, so if there are still seats open at the date that you are interviewing, then you still have a similar chance of acceptance.

In the same vein, applicants who receive earlier IIs are often the ones who are especially competitive for that school. So, if an applicant receives an II early, is it to their advantage to schedule their interview later on in the cycle as, at that point, most of the people interviewing will be the ones who have received the IIs later as well? In essence making it so that within the group of interviewees being considered in that block, the one who received the earlier II is likely a stronger applicant in comparison?
Nope. Your interview is what will make or break you, not the date of the II's.

Nope. Your interview is what will make or break you, not the date of the II's.
But how come what I posited about the difference in competitivity of later cohorts isn't correct?

But how come what I posited about the difference in competitivity of later cohorts isn't correct?

Later interviewees may be less competitive on paper, but the school will also have less spots available. I think it will all even out

Later interviewees may be less competitive on paper, but the school will also have less spots available. I think it will all even out
Like I said, the admissions officer I spoke to on the phone told me that there would be enough spots available so as to not be a consideration.

Take it at face value.
There's really no alternative.
Haha ok I am but that just brings me back to my question of, if the number of seats isn't an issue as the Admissions officer said, am I better off trying to reschedule for a closer date or interviewing over a month later with the "weaker" cohort

Haha ok I am but that just brings me back to my question of, if the number of seats isn't an issue as the Admissions officer said, am I better off trying to reschedule for a closer date or interviewing over a month later with the "weaker" cohort
...overthinking

Reactions: 2 users
I think the answer is because you're not just competing with the applicants interviewing in your block -- you're also competing against everyone who already interviewed and hasn't yet been rejected.