Do I have a higher chance of acceptance if I received an II early but interview later?

and 99 others

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
As I understand it, interviewing later does not necessarily decrease your chances of acceptance at a school because the schools meet and decide on interviewees in blocks, so if there are still seats open at the date that you are interviewing, then you still have a similar chance of acceptance.

In the same vein, applicants who receive earlier IIs are often the ones who are especially competitive for that school. So, if an applicant receives an II early, is it to their advantage to schedule their interview later on in the cycle as, at that point, most of the people interviewing will be the ones who have received the IIs later as well? In essence making it so that within the group of interviewees being considered in that block, the one who received the earlier II is likely a stronger applicant in comparison?

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

and 99 others

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2019
Status (Visible)
...overthinking.
I'm mainly asking because I absolutely need to leave the country in within a week or two. This was unexpected and forced me to reschedule an interview at my top choice for nearly 2 months later. I'm trying to see if I can reschedule again and squeeze in the interview for sometime the next week or two, but if it is to my advantage to wait nearly 2 months, I'd rather do that.

Wolvvs

2+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Obviously this is school specific and there's no way for us to know. But logically if you wait a couple months and given rolling admissions, they will make decisions and admit students in your cohort before you interview, meaning there will be less available spots later. How much of a difference (if any) this makes isn't something anyone here would know unless they're an adcom for your particular school.

If you can do it earlier, it's probably to your slight advantage, but it's not likely to make a difference in the final decision.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

and 99 others

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2019
Status (Visible)
Obviously this is school specific and there's no way for us to know. But logically if you wait a couple months and given rolling admissions, they will make decisions and admit students in your cohort before you interview, meaning there will be less available spots later. How much of a difference (if any) this makes isn't something anyone here would know unless they're an adcom for your particular school.

If you can do it earlier, it's probably to your slight advantage, but it's not likely to make a difference in the final decision.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile
I spoke to the school and they said there would still be enough spots left if I decided to interview later.

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
As I understand it, interviewing later does not necessarily decrease your chances of acceptance at a school because the schools meet and decide on interviewees in blocks, so if there are still seats open at the date that you are interviewing, then you still have a similar chance of acceptance.

In the same vein, applicants who receive earlier IIs are often the ones who are especially competitive for that school. So, if an applicant receives an II early, is it to their advantage to schedule their interview later on in the cycle as, at that point, most of the people interviewing will be the ones who have received the IIs later as well? In essence making it so that within the group of interviewees being considered in that block, the one who received the earlier II is likely a stronger applicant in comparison?
Nope. Your interview is what will make or break you, not the date of the II's.

drducky.

2+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2018
Status (Visible)
But how come what I posited about the difference in competitivity of later cohorts isn't correct?

Later interviewees may be less competitive on paper, but the school will also have less spots available. I think it will all even out

and 99 others

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2019
Status (Visible)
Later interviewees may be less competitive on paper, but the school will also have less spots available. I think it will all even out
Like I said, the admissions officer I spoke to on the phone told me that there would be enough spots available so as to not be a consideration.

and 99 others

2+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2019
Status (Visible)
Take it at face value.
There's really no alternative.
Haha ok I am but that just brings me back to my question of, if the number of seats isn't an issue as the Admissions officer said, am I better off trying to reschedule for a closer date or interviewing over a month later with the "weaker" cohort

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Haha ok I am but that just brings me back to my question of, if the number of seats isn't an issue as the Admissions officer said, am I better off trying to reschedule for a closer date or interviewing over a month later with the "weaker" cohort
...overthinking

Reactions: 2 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Applicants see rolling admissions and assume a simple arithmetic problem: acceptances are handed out until seats are filled. This is not the case.

1) even though schools can start offering admission on Oct 15th, the majority of acceptances are not given until well after the new year, usually late February to early March
2) schools will offer more acceptances than number of seats as half of acceptees receive more than one acceptance
3) schools are well aware of their own interview schedule and will admit students throughout their interview cycle
4) Despite the myth, students dont interview for the wait lisy
5) early invitees are usually ranked “higher” (and can interview earlier), therefore have better chance of admission. Later invitees are usually lower ranked (and cant interview early if invited late) and therefore have lower chance of admission
6) timing of application impacts being evaluated and reviewed for II. Once invited, Timing of interview has little to no impact on admission chances

Reactions: 1 users

KnightDoc

Probationary Status
2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
But how come what I posited about the difference in competitivity of later cohorts isn't correct?
I think the answer is because you're not just competing with the applicants interviewing in your block -- you're also competing against everyone who already interviewed and hasn't yet been rejected.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.