Do I have a shot this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD4294

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fam,
So after listening to a lot of you guys, I have moved my first mcat date down to January. With a January mcat, I am planning on applying next cycle. However, would it be worth giving it a shot for DO schools this cycle? Have y'all heard of any acceptances that late? ( if so which schools)

My stats: 3.65 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 150+ volunteer in hospital/ hospice, 2 sem of research, OR assistant job for 5 months. (I'm hoping 5 months of MCAT prep could get me 80> percentile)

Members don't see this ad.

It's better to wait til next cycle. If you take a Jan MCAT, then you get your score in Feb which is late for DO. The next cycle opens in June (only 4 months after you get your MCAT score) so you might as well maximize your chances by applying early next cycle.

If you score high enough, I can even see a couple MD schools give you love (e.g. in-state schools).

Reactions: 1 user
Hey fam,
So after listening to a lot of you guys, I have moved my first mcat date down to January. With a January mcat, I am planning on applying next cycle. However, would it be worth giving it a shot for DO schools this cycle? Have y'all heard of any acceptances that late? ( if so which schools)

My stats: 3.65 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, 150+ volunteer in hospital/ hospice, 2 sem of research, OR assistant job for 5 months. (I'm hoping 5 months of MCAT prep could get me 80> percentile)

I agree that Jan mcat is veryyyyy late. But I guess Im one of the few to manage an acceptance taking the Jan mcat. But your stats have to be stellar.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's better to wait til next cycle. If you take a Jan MCAT, then you get your score in Feb which is late for DO. The next cycle opens in June (only 4 months after you get your MCAT score) so you might as well maximize your chances by applying early next cycle.

If you score high enough, I can even see a couple MD schools give you love (e.g. in-state schools).
Agreed. Better to wait a year and get into the school of your choice.
Oh yeah, and the $$$

I agree that Jan mcat is veryyyyy late. But I guess Im one of the few to manage an acceptance taking the Jan mcat. But your stats have to be stellar.
If you don't mind me asking, what schools did you apply to? It would be so helpful to know which ones take January date!

Lecom, wvsom, acom, touro, pcom,kycom

Some of them take it but require that it not be your first time.

Lots of schools are accepting apps up until April/March and some even get interviews in May or June. However!! A majority of spots are filled and they are only accepting those who are really exceptional or those that fit their particular mission or need for diversity. You are in Feb competing against MD applicants who scored well but didn't get in and are rushing to apply DO.

Why apply DO now instead of waiting for the MCAT and seeing if you might can do MD? Better to apply early and broadly than risk being a reapplicant.

Best of Luck

That's my plan! I'm taking the January MCAT, that way if i need to I can retake again before next cycle (hopefully not). I'd rather have more time to study and get it right the first time and put my applications in the minute they open AACOMAS next may. Don't spend the money to be at the bottom of the pile. Take the next couple months to perfect your app and get it in early!