Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taidista

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I discovered this forum today, as I have been thinking about rad-onc for a while and am trying to learn as much as possible. during my first three years in med school I became interested in neurosurgery, and am currently taking a year off doing research in that field. Through NS I discovered rad-onc and thought it was fascinating. I think I might actually like it more than NS but from what I have read, and the reputation it has, I wonder if I even stand a chance at matching. I was looking for a stats page of average scores etc... but can't find anything updated. I really appreciate your honest input, don't be affraid to be brutal, I have thick skin ;)

School: Great New York City School with Rad-onc program.
Step 1: 246, taking step 2 later on
Honors: Psych, Neuro, OBGYN, anesthesia
High Pass: Medicine, Surgery (may get bumped to honors), Fam medicine
Pass: Nada.
(defferring peds to spring). pre-clinical all Ps (P/F school)
AOA: don't know yet
Research: neuro-oncology poster presented at the American
Academy of Neurology (first author), 1 paper in press and two more should come out befor the end of the year, all in neurosurgery, 1 more poster presented at the endocrine society meeting. Also Memorial Sloan Kettering summer fellow, and tons of community service, TAing, and leadership stuff.

I know my boards aren't as high as those posted in the website, and my research is not in rad onc... Thank you in advance for your input and honesty :)

Members don't see this ad.

I discovered this forum today, as I have been thinking about rad-onc for a while and am trying to learn as much as possible. during my first three years in med school I became interested in neurosurgery, and am currently taking a year off doing research in that field. Through NS I discovered rad-onc and thought it was fascinating. I think I might actually like it more than NS but from what I have read, and the reputation it has, I wonder if I even stand a chance at matching. I was looking for a stats page of average scores etc... but can't find anything updated. I really appreciate your honest input, don't be affraid to be brutal, I have thick skin ;)

School: Great New York City School with Rad-onc program.
Step 1: 246, taking step 2 later on
Honors: Psych, Neuro, OBGYN, anesthesia
High Pass: Medicine, Surgery (may get bumped to honors), Fam medicine
Pass: Nada.
(defferring peds to spring). pre-clinical all Ps (P/F school)
AOA: don't know yet
Research: neuro-oncology poster presented at the American
Academy of Neurology (first author), 1 paper in press and two more should come out befor the end of the year, all in neurosurgery, 1 more poster presented at the endocrine society meeting. Also Memorial Sloan Kettering summer fellow, and tons of community service, TAing, and leadership stuff.

I know my boards aren't as high as those posted in the website, and my research is not in rad onc... Thank you in advance for your input and honesty :)

You definitely have a shot. Do a rotation or three to see if it really works for you and to get some good LORs.

Oh, and for stats you may or may not know about Charting Outcomes in the Match. I hope you enjoy reading way too much into it like we all did.

Seriously though, I think you will be competetive, just be prepared to give a good convincing heartfelt answer in interviews as to why you made the switch. Your scores are fine, they are above the rad onc mean as you will see from the link.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to do some research on a dedicated rad onc project, but you will still stand a good chance without it given your other research.

I think you are definitely competitive! You could start using your neurosurgery experience to your advantage and try to get hooked up with an attending who specializes in CNS radiation oncology - maybe just get an abstract or chart review that emphasizes radiation, and I think your problems are solved!

Best wishes!

I agree with the above posters. You don't need a "thick skin" with an application like that. Even though I haven't applied yet, based on previous SDN matches and the SDN outcomes document, I don't see how you wouldn't be competitive for a spot.