Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John Q

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 22 year old african american male that went to a "southern IVY league school" where I had a 3.1 GPA. I attended grad school there for a year and also had a 3.1 GPA. I graduated from grad school in the summer with a masters degree in a biological science and now I work in clinical research at a medical school in the south. I should be apart of 2-3 publications within the next year.

My best friend and roommate passed away at the end of my sophomore year in college and I had a huge drop in academic performance for 3 semesters (spring 09 to spring 10). Instead of taking taking incompletes and finishing in the fall, I was so over school that just took the exams and bombed them. In retrospect, I shouldn't have but I wasnt in the best state of mind. I was down and out for a year as I tried to cope with my loss living in the 2 BR apartment that meant for my buddy and I. I recovered for senior year, and my GPA if you subtract those bad semesters is 3.35

I have 3 publications (2 of which I am the first author), have volunteered alot, traveled to South America to do service work, and worked as a medical scribe in emergency pediatrics and general ER for 2 summers in undergrade.

I also participated in undergraduate biomedical research programs for 5 summers from high school to my senior year in college. I've worked in underrepresented communities as a tutor and as a health educator (HIV/AIDs and STD awareness/prevention) and most of my service work has been with youth and underserved communities.

I have yet to take the MCAT (studying currently) and I would like to attend a US MD school. I am willing to go anywhere in the country to do so.

Do I have a remote chance? And if so, what MCAT score/range would make me more attractive as an applicant (33-35?). Also, if I am a legitimate candidate, which schools do I have the best shot at getting into?

Thanks guys,

Q

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So your cGPA is 3.1? Or is that just for grad school? You can't "subtract" out a poor seemster. Adcoms look at the whole package.

As a URM, your chances are much better for medical school because, frankly, there aren't enough URM doctors, and that's a problem.

To be fully competetive, your GPA should be around 3.3, and shoot for a minimum of high 20s/low 30s for MCAT.

Don't forget the four HBC's that have MD programs.

I am a 22 year old african american male that went to a "southern IVY league school" where I had a 3.1 GPA. I attended grad school there for a year and also had a 3.1 GPA. I graduated from grad school in the summer with a masters degree in a biological science and now I work in clinical research at a medical school in the south. I should be apart of 2-3 publications within the next year.

My best friend and roommate passed away at the end of my sophomore year in college and I had a huge drop in academic performance for 3 semesters (spring 09 to spring 10). Instead of taking taking incompletes and finishing in the fall, I was so over school that just took the exams and bombed them. In retrospect, I shouldn't have but I wasnt in the best state of mind. I was down and out for a year as I tried to cope with my loss living in the 2 BR apartment that meant for my buddy and I. I recovered for senior year, and my GPA if you subtract those bad semesters is 3.35

I have 3 publications (2 of which I am the first author), have volunteered alot, traveled to South America to do service work, and worked as a medical scribe in emergency pediatrics and general ER for 2 summers in undergrade.

I also participated in undergraduate biomedical research programs for 5 summers from high school to my senior year in college. I've worked in underrepresented communities as a tutor and as a health educator (HIV/AIDs and STD awareness/prevention) and most of my service work has been with youth and underserved communities.

I have yet to take the MCAT (studying currently) and I would like to attend a US MD school. I am willing to go anywhere in the country to do so.

Do I have a remote chance? And if so, what MCAT score/range would make me more attractive as an applicant (33-35?). Also, if I am a legitimate candidate, which schools do I have the best shot at getting into?

Thanks guys,

Q

My cGPA for undergrad was 3.1 and my graduate school GPA was 3.1.

I understand that adcoms won't subtract my bad semesters out, but I just wanted to give y'all a reason for the drop in performance.

Intend on applying to all the HBCU MD programs in addition to non HBCU md Programs as well. I also have 60+ hours of doing neurosurgery, and my current job is practically 40+ hours of a week of shadowing so I have alot of clinical experience for a relatively young guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say 36 (11 min each area) with your situation and publications, you have a shot; might have to apply twice, but small price if you want it!

How did your last 40 hours of undergrad go? Also, your low grad gpa is worse-3.1 in grad school as you know is barely passing.

Blow the MCAT away and be upfront in essay and interview. ALso, utilize best recomendations possible, you have great asset in publications.

God bless you!
jcm, dvm, phd 42 mcat (going to med school as older student)

My last 2 semesters I had a 3.5 GPA.

Thanks for the info!

I would say 36 (11 min each area) with your situation and publications, you have a shot; might have to apply twice, but small price if you want it!

How did your last 40 hours of undergrad go? Also, your low grad gpa is worse-3.1 in grad school as you know is barely passing.

Blow the MCAT away and be upfront in essay and interview. ALso, utilize best recomendations possible, you have great asset in publications.

God bless you!

I think a 36 is way too high as a minimum score. I'd say at least a 28+ and you have a decent shot at a US allopathic school, maybe even a 27. Aim high, though.

God bless you!

lol no

Running off GPA and MCAT alone he has a 75% chance of acceptance with a MCAT of around 30. Get a nice balanced 30+ and you have a great shot especially with published research experience.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf

Here are the admissions stats for African American applicants the last two years. With a score of 27+ and a gpa in your range, ~70% of those applying got into at least 1 school. With your strong extracurriculars and clinical experience, I think you'd stand an even better chance than that.

Aim for 30+ like everyone else, but anything in the high 20s and above should make you competitive.