MD Do I have any chance at an MD admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Verbatim Disk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3.5 GPA (science and cumulative) upward trend.
32 MCAT.
Good extracurriculars: Hundreds of hours shadowing and interning at a clinic. Hundreds of hours of research (1 first author, 1 second author, 1 third author).

No real socio-economic disadvantages besides first generation high school/college graduate.
CA resident though I'm not aiming for any CA schools with my stats.
What is your BCPM GPA? Any leadership, teaching, or nonmedical community service? Does the shadowing include a primary care doc? Were your publications in off-campus journals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you doubt your chances?

A below average GPA and a below average MCAT compared to what I've seen. If I made up the GPA with a better MCAT I would have some confidence, but it feels like I'm on the borderline in both categories.

What is your BCPM GPA? Any leadership, teaching, or nonmedical community service? Does the shadowing include a primary care doc? Were your publications in off-campus journals?

3.5 as well. Nothing major for the other things. Co-counselor in a campus club, off-site tutoring, and library volunteer work.
My shadowing and interning is from a primary care doctor, and my publications are from a UCSF lab.

Last edited:
3.5 as well. Nothing major for the other things. Co-counselor in a campus club, off-site tutoring, and library volunteer work.
My shadowing and interning is from a primary care doctor, and my publications are from a UCSF lab.
Yes, you have a shot at less-selective MD schools, especially if there's a steep recent upward grade trend each year, of say 3.7+, and some decent longevity in some of the just-mentioned.

When I asked about publications, I wanted to know if they appeared in national or regional journals, as opposed to campus journals or "pay for print" journals. Obviously, the former designations would give far more luster to your application.

Yes, you have a shot at less-selective MD schools, especially if there's a steep recent upward grade trend each year, of say 3.7+, and some decent longevity in some of the just-mentioned.

When I asked about publications, I wanted to know if they appeared in national or regional journals, as opposed to campus journals or "pay for print" journals. Obviously, the former designations would give far more luster to your application.

Thanks for the info. I do have a steep upward trend my last four semesters, but the overall GPA is still a bummer, especially combined with an average/below-average MCAT.
And yeah, my papers aren't pay for print or campus journals. They're no Nature papers, but pubs from like Journal of Immunology.

Reactions: 1 user