Do I have any chance at getting in?

Started by Dr Kate
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr Kate

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, I just got my MCAT scores... 28O. I got a 10 in both sciences, and an 8 on the verbal.

My overall GPA is a 3.53, and my science GPA is a 3.44.

I have lots of extracurriculars, volunteering and shadowing.
I've volunteered at different hospitals 4hrs/week for the past 3 years, I've shadowed numerous times, I'm doing research this summer, and I've held part time jobs throughout college, with one being a personal care aide for an elderly man.

I don't know if I'm retaking the MCATs, I'm afraid of going down in my score (verbal was always tough for me), and I'll have to give up working and volunteering this summer if I have to retake in August.

So, with these stats, do I have a chance. Oh yeah, I'm a NYS resident, and I'm applying to lots of schools (~15), including all of the lower stat NYS schools.

My main concern is not getting in somewhere, and I used the spreadsheet today and it really scared me. Almost every school was a "longshot".

Please let me know if I have a chance. Thanks in advance... I appreciate it!🙂
 
I'd give you less than a 50% chance of being accepted to an Allopathic school, especially since you're a NY resident. It's still worth applying (and sounds like you've targeted the right schools), but be prepared to reapply. You should definitely retake the MCAT, since your score is lower than 30 and your VR is weak. Also, your GPA (both overall and BCMP) is on the low side.

I'd give higher weight to preparing for the MCAT than volunteering. Working maybe different, depending on your financial situation.

For Osteopathic schools, however, you're a very good candidate. Something to keep in mind as it could save you at least one year in case your Allopathic applications do not work out.