Do I have any chances at SGU or Ross

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myfavred

I am a girl
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a non trad student and my masters is in Info tech. My masters GPA is 3.8. My BCPM is 2.7 and my MCAT was 21. Do I have any chance at Ross or SGU if I apply this year.

Members don't see this ad.

from what i have read so far, sgu seems to be really competitive these days. ross might admit you. it all depends. and ross has a medprep program. so you have a higher chance.

and it depends on what kinda master degree you have.

What about US schools? You have pretty good numbers. And as far as SGU and Ross, you will have absolutely no problem getting in at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
dbiddy808 said:
What about US schools? You have pretty good numbers. And as far as SGU and Ross, you will have absolutely no problem getting in at all.
The GPA that I have for the pre reqs is 2.7 my Masters is in Information Technology and I highly doubt that it will count.

I think I missed that part. What about your undergrad science GPA (bio, chem, o-chem, physics)?

dbiddy808 said:
I think I missed that part. What about your undergrad science GPA (bio, chem, o-chem, physics)?
That is 2.7

do you guys know of anyone who has ever been rejected from SGU or Ross?

I dont know anyone personally who's been rejected from either Ross or SGU.

Of course, this doesnt mean that it doesnt happen. I think I read somewhere that SGU interviews 30% of the applicants, and accepts 30 to 40% of those interviewed. I havent seen any Ross stats.

blackbeard505 said:
I dont know anyone personally who's been rejected from either Ross or SGU.

Of course, this doesnt mean that it doesnt happen. I think I read somewhere that SGU interviews 30% of the applicants, and accepts 30 to 40% of those interviewed. I havent seen any Ross stats.

WOW... that seems like a lot of rejections... which i find very hard to believe.
but until i get other info i will have to take their word for it (all be it with a grain of salt)

Remember, thre are other factors that are looked at as well (i.e. level of maturity, interview, volunteer experience, etc). The only way to find out is to apply!

tutankh said:
Remember, thre are other factors that are looked at as well (i.e. level of maturity, interview, volunteer experience, etc). The only way to find out is to apply!

i have applied and i think i have a very good chance since i got an interview invite in a day or two after submitting my essays so i am just curious if they take everyone or at least interview everyone?
i have pretty decent stats, maybe not good enough for US schools and Canada however i did interview at Mt Sinai and at Ottawa last year, got waitlisted on both and didnt get in.

i have 3.3 undergrad GPA, 4.0 MSc Gpa, pretty good EC, tons of research experience, tons of publications (4 first author papers) and 29Q on my MCATs and good reference letters so i am waiting to see what happens this year

cheers
Ali

AliatUofT said:
i have 3.3 undergrad GPA, 4.0 MSc Gpa, pretty good EC, tons of research experience, tons of publications (4 first author papers) and 29Q on my MCATs and good reference letters so i am waiting to see what happens this year

cheers
Ali

With those stats, you will very likely not have any problems getting in. Your MCAT is pretty strong, and the gpa looks fine. Research will be a plus, of course. I got in with 28P on the mcat, and 3.4 overall, 3.2 sciences.

Keep in mind that the reason why the rejection stats may seem high is that they probably get a lot of applicants with scores in the low 20s on the mcat, or maybe even upper teens. I think the average MCAT score there is 26. So obviously the hordes of ppl with significantly lower scores may not be getting in.

Good luck!

AliatUofT said:
do you guys know of anyone who has ever been rejected from SGU or Ross?

I got rejected from SGU a little over a year ago. Of course my MCAT's not all that great, but my other stats are pretty good and I worked in an ER for two years doing pretty much everything but pushing drugs. I got into AUC for August 05 so I must not have been to bad off with everything.

Basically, AUC accepts any 1 who meets pre-med requirements and have taken the MCAT. I don't see how their posted average stats of: 3.0 GPA, 25 MCAT, could have formed the basis for any sort of cutoff scheme. Taken that some ppl might have 3.55 GPA, it would seem that they also accepted ppl w 2.45 GPA's to even it out to 3.0. And their MCAT, some ppl may have scored 30, but the 25 average means that some people also scored 20. My point: AUC accepts anyone who applies and fulfilled premed/MCAT requirements. I say this b/c I haven't encountered any 1 who got rejected from AUC as yet. Hey, this is a private business about making money off of you after all. :rolleyes:

If you're looking to make yourself feel good about your acceptance, you might also wanna try Saba since their GPA is 3.10, they require phone interviews, and they are somewhat selective.

Man, you must be getting old. Er, I think you should also try those Canadian schools (such as Western), where they explicitly state on their policy that they will consider your graduate GPA over your undergraduate GPA if you have already completed your graduate degree (which is you). I think you will stand a better chance there.

If you really want to get into a Canadian med school, you could try Queens (only looks at your last 2 years's GPA) b/c your last 2 year's GPA's rock, but you would have to rewrite the MCAT and score not lower than 10 on each section, and continue to do as well, or better in your writing samples. Oh yeah, I also recall this thing that Queens will look at each individual application which does not meet their cutoff (in this case your MCAT) and decide whether or not to reject or advance you further in the admissions process. I think they will rather advance you, even though your MCAT might not make cutoff b/c you have that awesome graduate GPA. :thumbup:

Lotsof77 said:
If you really want to get into a Canadian med school, you could try Queens (only looks at your last 2 years's GPA) b/c your last 2 year's GPA's rock, but you would have to rewrite the MCAT and score not lower than 10 on each section, and continue to do as well, or better in your writing samples. Oh yeah, I also recall this thing that Queens will look at each individual application which does not meet their cutoff (in this case your MCAT) and decide whether or not to reject or advance you further in the admissions process. I think they will rather advance you, even though your MCAT might not make cutoff b/c you have that awesome graduate GPA. :thumbup:

:)
i feel that i am getting old, i am only 27 (28 in a month) anyways.
my problem with Western and Queens has been the MCATs (specifically Verbal reasoning) i cant do well in it. i have written the MCAT 3 times and the best i could do in the verbal is a 7 but my other 2 are 11, 11 Q.
i am really not interested in rewritting the MCATs and it is for this reason i am considering the SGU and ireland if i am accepted. Said that i have applied to all Ontario Schools as well as UBC (for MD/PhD) as well as several schools in the US and Ireland. so i am waiting to see what happens.
hey my other option is do a PhD and apply again after but that comes with its own set of problems, most important being the time and the fact that i would have to rewrite the MCAT
so this is why i am in such a mess :)

cheers.
Ali

I know... If only you'd found out about the Caribbean as a viable option sooner, you'd no doubt be in residency by now. :thumbup: Hey, I noticed that SGU is re-starting an ambition advertising campaign. They have SGU posters at select UofT locations now (a doc spiking a volleyball on a clear beach).

Not sure about UBC. Last I checked, they don't accept any out of province applicants. Unless you're from BC. Are ya? :wink: But that was a long time ago that I checked...

Lotsof77 said:
Not sure about UBC. Last I checked, they don't accept any out of province applicants. Unless you're from BC. Are ya? :wink: But that was a long time ago that I checked...

UBC does accept out of province students, but not too many, however for the MD/PhD they dont care whether or not u are in or out of province.
so everyone is on the same playing level.