Do I have any chances for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdoc22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am an IMG planning to apply for the ophthalmology match. I would like to ask your opinion about my credentials and if you think I could have any lack for this match or postpone my application for the next match. As you have already experienced applying to over 50 programs can be very expensive and I would really appreciate any suggestion.
I have passed USMLE Step 1 in November, I scored 229/95-first attempt- and I am planning to take USMLE Step 2CK and Step 2 CS at the end of summer. Currently I am working as a volunteer in a private ophthalmology practice in my hometown since September 2007 and I have done some research in a non ophthalmologic project for about a year where I was mainly trained in various laboratory techniques and I had weekly clinical attending in the outpatient clinic of the university hospital that I was trained as a student. I will get LOR’s from my Dean, from the physician that owns the practice I am working now and from one ophthalmologist and one internist that know me in US. In September I am going to work in the practice of the US ophthalmologist that will write my LOR and if possible I will attend as observer in an ophthalmology program in US.
Do you think there is any chance for my application or should I wait for next year and try to participate first in some research?
Any suggestion is more than welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you taking Step II CK before application deadlines? I only ask because due to upward trending Step I scores, you may want to see how you do on Step II CK. Being an IMG and having a Step I score that is modestly above average will make it tougher for you (not trying to be a put down, but I'm applying this year and I've talked to some M4s and residency directors and those two things are big factors in whether you get an interview or not).

I was planning to take Step 2Ck at the the end of july so that I could meet most of the deadlines but since I am aware of my modest Step 1 I haven't decided yet if I will postpone it and submit my score as a supplemental material (if I am satisfied).Thank you for your reply and I really hope good luck to you.

Your step one is rather low, and the cards are already stacked against you as an IMG. Your best bet is to get some ophthalmology pubs in before your application is complete. Any chance of that? Honestly, chances are slim but anything is possible with the right attitude and a bit of luck