Do I have any hope??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amidoomed?

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post on the website and I am going to be asking the question that I am sure you all see a million times a day. 'Will I ever get into Dental School with these credentials?'

So heres the deal...I have a BS in biochemistry, with a cumulative GPA of 2.8, and a science GPA of 3.0. My poor cumulative GPA is because of E's that I had recieved in Engineering courses that I took for 2-3 semesters when I thought I wanted to be an engineer. Because of this I had been separated from my school for academic reasons and came back to do two years more to complete my Bachelors degree. Since then I had worked for those 2 years to complete a BS in Biochemistry and took 3 400 level classes which was required for my degree but i only got B-, and C-'s in them.

I have not taken the DAT yet, and wanted to know what course of action I should take in order to possibly get into Dental School in the next two years (if not more).

Should I apply for an MS is Biochemistry? or related Biological Science?
Should I apply for a standardized Post Bac program? Should I just take courses in sciences? How many would I have to take then?
Also to top it off I am an International Student and wanted to know how this would affect my admission chances.

So...as you can all see my situation is very bad but I am sincerely ready to do whatever it takes to become a dentist. I would appreciate any input that you may have...
Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

amidoomed? said:
Hello all,
This is my first post on the website and I am going to be asking the question that I am sure you all see a million times a day. 'Will I ever get into Dental School with these credentials?'

So heres the deal...I have a BS in biochemistry, with a cumulative GPA of 2.8, and a science GPA of 3.0. My poor cumulative GPA is because of E's that I had recieved in Engineering courses that I took for 2-3 semesters when I thought I wanted to be an engineer. Because of this I had been separated from my school for academic reasons and came back to do two years more to complete my Bachelors degree. Since then I had worked for those 2 years to complete a BS in Biochemistry and took 3 400 level classes which was required for my degree but i only got B-, and C-'s in them.

I have not taken the DAT yet, and wanted to know what course of action I should take in order to possibly get into Dental School in the next two years (if not more).

Should I apply for an MS is Biochemistry? or related Biological Science?
Should I apply for a standardized Post Bac program? Should I just take courses in sciences? How many would I have to take then?
Also to top it off I am an International Student and wanted to know how this would affect my admission chances.

So...as you can all see my situation is very bad but I am sincerely ready to do whatever it takes to become a dentist. I would appreciate any input that you may have...
Thanks for your time.

Ok settle down...you're not in that bad of shape at all. You have a degree in biochemistry, that counts for a lot. Take the DATs, if you dominate you might be ready to go. People get in with low GPAs especially with a badass major and experience with all those science classes.