Do I have any hope??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amidoomed?

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,
This is my first post on the website and I am going to be asking the question that I am sure you all see a million times a day. 'Will I ever get into Dental School with these credentials?'

So heres the deal...I have a BS in biochemistry, with a cumulative GPA of 2.8, and a science GPA of 3.0. My poor cumulative GPA is because of E's that I had recieved in Engineering courses that I took for 2-3 semesters when I thought I wanted to be an engineer. Because of this I had been separated from my school for academic reasons and came back to do two years more to complete my Bachelors degree. Since then I had worked for those 2 years to complete a BS in Biochemistry and took 3 400 level classes which was required for my degree but i only got B-, and C-'s in them.

I have not taken the DAT yet, and wanted to know what course of action I should take in order to possibly get into Dental School in the next two years (if not more).

Should I apply for an MS is Biochemistry? or related Biological Science?
Should I apply for a standardized Post Bac program? Should I just take courses in sciences? How many would I have to take then?
Also to top it off I am an International Student and wanted to know how this would affect my admission chances.

So...as you can all see my situation is very bad but I am sincerely ready to do whatever it takes to become a dentist. I would appreciate any input that you may have...
Thanks for your time.
 
amidoomed? said:
Hello all,
This is my first post on the website and I am going to be asking the question that I am sure you all see a million times a day. 'Will I ever get into Dental School with these credentials?'

So heres the deal...I have a BS in biochemistry, with a cumulative GPA of 2.8, and a science GPA of 3.0. My poor cumulative GPA is because of E's that I had recieved in Engineering courses that I took for 2-3 semesters when I thought I wanted to be an engineer. Because of this I had been separated from my school for academic reasons and came back to do two years more to complete my Bachelors degree. Since then I had worked for those 2 years to complete a BS in Biochemistry and took 3 400 level classes which was required for my degree but i only got B-, and C-'s in them.

I have not taken the DAT yet, and wanted to know what course of action I should take in order to possibly get into Dental School in the next two years (if not more).

Should I apply for an MS is Biochemistry? or related Biological Science?
Should I apply for a standardized Post Bac program? Should I just take courses in sciences? How many would I have to take then?
Also to top it off I am an International Student and wanted to know how this would affect my admission chances.

So...as you can all see my situation is very bad but I am sincerely ready to do whatever it takes to become a dentist. I would appreciate any input that you may have...
Thanks for your time.


Ok settle down...you're not in that bad of shape at all. You have a degree in biochemistry, that counts for a lot. Take the DATs, if you dominate you might be ready to go. People get in with low GPAs especially with a badass major and experience with all those science classes.