MD & DO Do I have D.O. chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A_med_school_hopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a unique situation by almost anyone's standards:
I went to a school in Texas and graduated with a 2.1 cGPA and a 2.3 sGPA. This was due to a lot of extenuating circumstances- my mom got very sick and I had to move back home to take care of her so for an entire semester I had to withdraw from all of my classes. Of course, at that point in my life, school was not my #1 priority. I did go back to school after that and when I did go back to school, I was emotionally/mentally drained. My mom was still sick and I wasn't there to take care of her. Shortly after that, I was sexually assaulted (I know that this is sounding like a movie now, but unfortunately it was my life.) and then my only priority was to graduate.
So, in the end, I graduated. It took me 5 years but I did it. However, due to all of the past circumstances and my low GPA, I am extremely discouraged about medical school.
I have been trying to turn my life around and I have been working in the medical field for 3 years (direct patient contact as well as some research), I have 3 papers published (one of which I am first author on), and I have learned some programming and statistics as well.
Basically, my college years were rough for me and I have been considering my options: I am thinking about trying the Fresh Start program for med school since I am a Texas resident (I would have to wait a few years before that takes effect, however), repeating some classes and applying for D.O. schools. I don't think I have the GPA to get into a SMP or post-bacc program somewhere. I am getting slightly discouraged and I'm not sure what the best option would be.

I have read on this site that D.O. schools are more forgiving but are they THAT forgiving?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Would I qualify for an SMP? I'm pretty sure most of them require above a 2.1 just to get in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do a post-bacc (informal) at a college near your house. Go back and re-take all your science classes that you got lower than a B in, and then calculate your GPA. That's what I did and I brought my cumulative from a 2.5 up to a 3.2 in one year!

Thank you both for your posts. I was planning on doing a post-bacc. That's quite a GPA jump! Are you calculating based on scores on the AACOM application? I know they do grade replacements.

I went to a school in Texas and graduated with a 2.1 cGPA and a 2.3 sGPA. This was due to a lot of extenuating circumstances- my mom got very sick and I had to move back home to take care of her so for an entire semester I had to withdraw from all of my classes. Of course, at that point in my life, school was not my #1 priority. I did go back to school after that and when I did go back to school, I was emotionally/mentally drained. My mom was still sick and I wasn't there to take care of her. Shortly after that, I was sexually assaulted (I know that this is sounding like a movie now, but unfortunately it was my life.) and then my only priority was to graduate.
So, in the end, I graduated. It took me 5 years but I did it. However, due to all of the past circumstances and my low GPA, I am extremely discouraged about medical school.
I have been trying to turn my life around and I have been working in the medical field for 3 years (direct patient contact as well as some research), I have 3 papers published (one of which I am first author on), and I have learned some programming and statistics as well.
Basically, my college years were rough for me and I have been considering my options: I am thinking about trying the Fresh Start program for med school since I am a Texas resident (I would have to wait a few years before that takes effect, however), repeating some classes and applying for D.O. schools. I don't think I have the GPA to get into a SMP or post-bacc program somewhere. I am getting slightly discouraged and I'm not sure what the best option would be.

I have read on this site that D.O. schools are more forgiving but are they THAT forgiving?

Hello there....so here is what I will say. First of all of course we believe you. But here is the thing. You are actually not the first. I have heard of deaths in the family that have delayed people from applying. Now I noticed you said something..."I have been working in the medical field for 3 years (direct patient contact as well as some research), I have 3 papers published"....so YOU HAVE TO raise your GPA up way before you even think to apply. Why? Because you are actually capable of doing so--you're accomplishments show it. I know you can do it. Good Luck and keep counting your blessings.

Sigh up for post-bac Show that you are changed, afterwards just apply to schools. Caribbean medical schools will only look at your post-bac and have very small emphasis on your undergrad. DO might do the same, but I am unsure.
Sigh up for postbac do it for 1 year, apply next year, and when you are done with pos-bac you will start med school. So in total, 2 years to get back into the game.