Do I HAVE to do a home rotation in Radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samsoccer7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question stems from the possibility that I might not get my schedule set up correctly.... but....
My school's chairman will write a letter regardless if you rotate through or not. It's probably not as strong, but it's a letter anyway.
Has anybody snubbed their home school to do rotations elsewhere instead, and get stronger letters? Unfortunately my school isn't exactly a radiology powerhouse, or even a radiology house, but I'd feel weird if I didn't rotate here. Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by samsoccer7
This question stems from the possibility that I might not get my schedule set up correctly.... but....
My school's chairman will write a letter regardless if you rotate through or not. It's probably not as strong, but it's a letter anyway.
Has anybody snubbed their home school to do rotations elsewhere instead, and get stronger letters? Unfortunately my school isn't exactly a radiology powerhouse, or even a radiology house, but I'd feel weird if I didn't rotate here. Opinions?

I would try to do rotations in places you want to go, that will help you get interviews there. Chances are you'll get an interview at your home school anyway. To be honest, in general most rads electives are not that exciting (unless you do IR). It's kind of like watching someone else play a video game.

HAHAHAHA. How true about the video game thing. Nothing worse than watching some coordination-handicapped person play Grand Theft Auto while you're yelling "Left, Left Left!!!" the whole time. Geez...

But you really think I don't need to do one at my home institution, even if it means a better letter?