Do I have to notify the schools I'm sending in another LOR after I submitted secondaries?

CloverBale

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Using AMCAS obviously. Do they automatically get it or do they need to update their system? Thank you :)

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Using AMCAS obviously. Do they automatically get it or do they need to update their system? Thank you :)
1) they will get it automatically
2) schools may or may not automatically update their system nor can be assured an evaluator will see it before moving you to adcom review
3) Any email you send requesting the school look at this letter or the simple act of having the letter assigned in AMCAS implies that you are requesting your file be removed from completed status, have the letter added, and now put back perhaps at the bottom of the queue. Therefore your application will be considered complete the date the letter is added.

Reactions: wysdoc
OP
C

CloverBale

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
1) they will get it automatically
2) schools may or may not automatically update their system nor can be assured an evaluator will see it before moving you to adcom review
3) Any email you send requesting the school look at this letter or the simple act of having the letter assigned in AMCAS implies that you are requesting your file be removed from completed status, have the letter added, and now put back perhaps at the bottom of the queue. Therefore your application will be considered complete the date the letter is added.
Ahhh, thank you for the response! So should I not bother sending it in? Or just send it in and say nothing? It's just an extra letter

About the Ads

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Ahhh, thank you for the response! So should I not bother sending it in? Or just send it in and say nothing? It's just an extra letter
why the late extra letter? who is it from?

OP
C

CloverBale

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2016
Status
Medical Student
why the late extra letter? who is it from?
The ER physician I've scribed for, he was just being super lazy. It's a long standing extracurricular activity and it would seem shady if I didn't submit something from it , right? I have letters from 2 science faculty, 1 non-science faculty, and my research PI.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
The ER physician I've scribed for, he was just being super lazy. It's a long standing extracurricular activity and it would seem shady if I didn't submit something from it , right? I have letters from 2 science faculty, 1 non-science faculty, and my research PI.
No, wouldnt seem shady. Very few schools ask for or even encourage that kind of letter. It would have been nice if you had, say, more that a few hundred hours and the doc could have written in depth. But I am not sure if it would have much positive impact and risks negative impact in process now.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I'm planning on submitting an extra rec from the PI that I work for during my gap year now. Do you think this is worthwhile? I've received an enormous amount of positive feedback on the work I've done and he has offered to write me a letter. Thank you for your input.
From a content standpoint yes; from a process standpoint, questionable. I would send it in

About the Ads