Do I have to report academic dishonesty as an Undergrad on ERAS/when applying for the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goddamn19yearoldme

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

In undergrad, I got into trouble as a freshman for academic dishonesty. I essentially cheated on a test and got caught, and was placed on probation. It made getting into med school a living hell- I didn't get in on my first try, and squeaked into a medical school, which happens to be a very good one. This incident was brought up in all of my med school interviews (which were few and far between). I learned my lesson due to that experience, and wrote heavily about it in my reapplication. It contributed greatly to me growing up

Since then, I've been a model citizen and med student. I've gotten excellent board scores, decent research and have a good shot at AOA. I'm still debating between a surgical subspecialty vs IM (i'm an M3), but should be able to easily match on the strength of my medical school application. Just to be clear, I've had no issues in medical school at all with any kind of dishonesty or legal stuff.

However, my mom asked me whether my undergrad issues would be a problem for residency, and I honestly don't know. Does ERAS ask about it/if they do, how to they ask it? This incident is not on any of my transcripts, and I'm not sure if my academic dean even knows. I don't want to lie on any application (already got into trouble for dishonesty once), but if I need to report anything, I think I'd set up a meeting with my academic dean

I didn't consider this before and am scared out of my mind right now. This incident was a massive albatross around my neck for years, and only after getting into medical school was that lifted off of me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi folks,

In undergrad, I got into trouble as a freshman for academic dishonesty. I essentially cheated on a test and got caught, and was placed on probation. It made getting into med school a living hell- I didn't get in on my first try, and squeaked into a medical school, which happens to be a very good one. This incident was brought up in all of my med school interviews (which were few and far between). I learned my lesson due to that experience, and wrote heavily about it in my reapplication. It contributed greatly to me growing up

Since then, I've been a model citizen and med student. I've gotten excellent board scores, decent research and have a good shot at AOA. I'm still debating between a surgical subspecialty vs IM (i'm an M3), but should be able to easily match on the strength of my medical school application. Just to be clear, I've had no issues in medical school at all with any kind of dishonesty or legal stuff.

However, my mom asked me whether my undergrad issues would be a problem for residency, and I honestly don't know. Does ERAS ask about it/if they do, how to they ask it? This incident is not on any of my transcripts, and I'm not sure if my academic dean even knows. I don't want to lie on any application (already got into trouble for dishonesty once), but if I need to report anything, I think I'd set up a meeting with my academic dean

I didn't consider this before and am scared out of my mind right now. This incident was a massive albatross around my neck for years, and only after getting into medical school was that lifted off of me.

Thanks!

The only salient question in ERAS regarding your circumstance is this: "Is there anything in your past history that would limit your ability to be licensed or would limit your ability to receive hospital privileges?" Since your offense happened as an undergrad freshman, I think you are safe to answer "no" and move on. Congratulations on doing so well in medical school!

Reactions: 2 users
Whew. Thanks a lot for this reply!

That incident forced me to grow up, and was a vital part of my development. I took getting into medical school as my second chance, worked my ass off- honestly anytime I have an ethical dilemma, I think back to this incident and proceed based on it. So far it's paid off

Thanks for responding!