do i have to report PIP from my job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaycee18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
recently got placed on probation at my job as the PD felt i was rude to her and a clerical staff. Now, i am concern that this is something i have to report in every job i go to.

Members don't see this ad.

Most importantly, this is a warning that you will be fired if you don't improve. This is not a minor issue. You need to address this and fix whatever the problem is.

Whether it's reportable to employers depends upon your resdiency's policies. It may be QA / internal, and you will not need to report it. It almost certainly depends upon you fixing the problem -- if it continues, you will need to report it (and you might get fired)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most importantly, this is a warning that you will be fired if you don't improve. This is not a minor issue. You need to address this and fix whatever the problem is.

Whether it's reportable to employers depends upon your resdiency's policies. It may be QA / internal, and you will not need to report it. It almost certainly depends upon you fixing the problem -- if it continues, you will need to report it (and you might get fired)
this is not a residency position though. it is a hospitalist job where i am an attending. how do you place some one on PIP because someone said they were rude? she is also trying to place another colleague on PIP for saying "****" during a meeting. I have been an attending for 2-3 years and it is quite insulting that she can just ruin my career with something as stupid as this.

Ah I see. Welcome to the club. In corporate medicine it doesn't matter of your boss is an idiot, if they are well connected they can absolutely make your life hell. Your hospital bylaws likely outline a procedure to appeal any sort of disciplinary action and depending on how they filed it it may be a required disclosure.

If this is a well established pattern and you have to interact with your boss often I would recommend you immediately begin searching for another job (accounting for any non compete clause). I would also retain an employment attorney familiar with healthcare to look over your case and immediately stop communicating about this issue to anyone without their input. It may end up being overkill but if it does start to snowball it is far better to save control early. That being said if the boss is politically entrenched it is unlikely that any appeal process will work or be fair sans lawyers.

Ahh. That changes things somewhat, but overall I agree with the above.

First piece of advice: Don't be rude to people.
Second piece of advice: Don't swear at work. Be professional.

Usually, initial PIP's like this are not reportable. But if there are more complaints, it can certainly become a big issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahh. That changes things somewhat, but overall I agree with the above.

First piece of advice: Don't be rude to people.
Second piece of advice: Don't swear at work. Be professional.

Usually, initial PIP's like this are not reportable. But if there are more complaints, it can certainly become a big issue.
i had an argument with her as they were not giving me enough shifts. i'm not the person who cursed though. that was my colleague but keeping my mouth shut these days to not offend anyone. but started job hunting and now, the question is coming up and i am unsure on how to answer it.

Doesn't sound like a good place to work. Find another job.

i had an argument with her as they were not giving me enough shifts. i'm not the person who cursed though. that was my colleague but keeping my mouth shut these days to not offend anyone. but started job hunting and now, the question is coming up and i am unsure on how to answer it.
What exactly is the question asking? I have been credentialed at tons of places and never seen that question posed outside of residency and medical school probation.
If your contract guarantees a certain amount of shifts, no need to argue about it. Point it out to her, ask what her solution is gonna be because yours will be to find another job. And you may not have to abide by their 30-90 day notice.

Reactions: 2 users
Damn in residency noon conferences I would constantly cuss to the APD or in general when answering questions and nothing ever happened to me. I need to not do this when i start my job in a couple of weeks.

Doesn't sound like a good place to work. Find another job.
PIPs some times are what they are meant to be... a positive corrective action within an organization to foster the growth of an employee to be in line with their mission and goals... a learning experience for all with no ill will.

Then there is the real world:

In practice PIPs are an HR assassins' tool to label employees as bad apples and facilitate protection of the company/hospital/medical group in case the 'bad apple' ever files a law suit. Now they can simply say this person has been trouble all along and you can't trust them. PIPs are in HR issue, not a hospital medical staff thing. They aren't reportable to NPI. But if future employers inquire with the employer - not the hospital as routine for issues with privileges, etc - your former employer might divulge things on the PIP. Maybe, maybe not. Don't be surprised if a lawyer instructs you to add to your HR file a counter rebuttal to the PIP, that eloquently points out how they are full of scat. This too, will need to be sent on to any future employers who request your HR file - if they have an appropriate release from you. So in summary, they say you are a bad apple, but along with that description comes the counter letter saying the organization is a bad apple (as instructed by a lawyer...).

I've known people who have been PIPed by previous employers and didn't impact their future job prospects. Just listen to the red flag signs, and if you are working at a Big Box Shop that is "PIP happy", save yourself the headache and get out of there sooner rather than later. Not worth the stress of sticking around such places.

Reactions: 1 user