Do I have to shadow a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vin5cent0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a DO to shadow for the past 2 months now and no one is really getting back to me. I have one doctor who said he'd be willing to let me come in, but he couldn't commit to a date yet and said it might not be until the end of summer. I have a decent amount of shadowing experience of a few MD's, but the few schools I've looked at have specifically wanted a letter of rec from a DO you shadowed/DO shadowing experience.

Members don't see this ad.

No you dont. its just better.

/thread

There are a handful of schools that won't budge on the DO letter requirement, but most are fine with an MD letter instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anything you should at least shadow a DO so you can be prepared to answer questions like "Why DO" during your interview. It's good to have an idea of the differences between DO/MD (albeit small.) Also it shows initiative on your part when you actually take time to shadow an osteopathic physician

Reactions: 1 user
It won't hurt, but always helps.

I've been trying to find a DO to shadow for the past 2 months now and no one is really getting back to me. I have one doctor who said he'd be willing to let me come in, but he couldn't commit to a date yet and said it might not be until the end of summer. I have a decent amount of shadowing experience of a few MD's, but the few schools I've looked at have specifically wanted a letter of rec from a DO you shadowed/DO shadowing experience.