Do I have to take Biochemistry???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was just wondering if a semester of Biochemistry is required for some dental schools...

I am applying to umdnj, boston, temple, VCU, Tufts, NYU, Upenn, Columbia, and buffalo.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools do require biochem, why dont you just check their websites... its so simple... out of your list, i know VCU definitely requires it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools don't "require" it, however they heavily "recommend" it.

I think I can generalize a bit here, if a school requires biochemistry, chances are they are going to require microbiology as well.

Yes you do. Take it now will make your life slightly easier in d-school.

Many schools don't "require" it, however they heavily "recommend" it.

I think I can generalize a bit here, if a school requires biochemistry, chances are they are going to require microbiology as well.

Aren't they the classes that dental students take during their 1st year? I think they want to know if you can survive well during the first yr.

Hey guys.

I was just wondering if a semester of Biochemistry is required for some dental schools...

I am applying to umdnj, boston, temple, VCU, Tufts, NYU, Upenn, Columbia, and buffalo.

thanks.
ill save u some time searching :laugh:

tufts and upenn- yes
nyu, umdnj- no

dnt wanna give u any of the others bec not so sure
but def look into it and it will 100% say the pre req on each website

gl

If he is really serious about applying to all of those schools, then if only 1 school requires biochem... it pretty much takes care of all the others. Just go ahead and take it, it will make your life easier when you take it in dental school. :)

Aren't they the classes that dental students take during their 1st year? I think they want to know if you can survive well during the first yr.
yep I've heard the same exact thing from a few dental schools I called up. They REALLY like to see students take on upper level sciences and doing well in them. They all said that it gives them an indication of how you'll deal with first year classes.