Medical Do I need a LOR from masters program professor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently trying to decide if I need to include an additional LOE. For context, I am currently pursuing an MPH

I currently have 5 letters:
  • Non-STEM UG professor
  • STEM UG professor
  • UG Academic advisor and STEM professor
  • Doctor I scribed under
  • Current PI who is also a Dept Chair at my MPH school
Now my question is if I should include a professor from my MPH program. I originally wanted to include one and asked one of my major professors in which I had one of the highest scores in the class, and I actively engaged with questions outside the scope of the class that I found interesting. I genuinely liked his class and made an active effort to help my classmates.
With all of this, I figured if I were to ask a professor, he would be happy to write me a strong letter; his response was not expected...

He said he would write me a letter talking about my strong performance but would not be able to discuss my leadership, and "I should ask someone else if that's not what I need." This response seemed rather weak, especially for a letter that's supposed to be complete unwavering support, and besides, schools can see a strong academic performance in my grades. I asked him to write it anyways and it is sitting in my quiver but I am unsure If I will include it.

I had also asked my MPH academic advisor for a letter related to something else which I got to read and while it was ok, it was rather cookie-cutter. I am thinking about asking another one of my professors, but without going too much into detail I don't know how strong his writing skills would be.

I want to know if it would be a red flag to not include an LOE from a professor from my Master's, and if I should include it anyway.

PS I actually have 6 letters because I have an extra from my time scribing (so two total). Should I include both or is it excessive? Both of them are department chairs of plastic surgery in different hospitals if that matters.
The number and type of LoE's can be determined largely by checking the MSAR.
Schools have different requirements. Do not submit what is likely to be a weak letter.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you have strong letters that meet the requirements of the programs you're applying to, I think there's no reason to worry too much about the exact letters you've supplied. As long as they are strong letters from people who know you well, you should be totally fine.

I am submitting a committee packet so my approach has to be very general unfortunately
Follow the recommendations of your committee, but do not submit more than is required. The scribing letters could easily be deleted without harm as could any letter that may be weak.

Would it not be a red flag to not include any professors from my Master's? I am currently getting straight A's (though I'm sure not that impressive in a masters) but it seems like I only have one very recent letter which is from my PI

I don’t think so. Again, it’s better to have STRONG, personal letters than a mediocre (which seems to be the case with your MPH professor) letter. Include the ones that you know are great (or think are great since you can’t read them) and make sure you complete the requirements for the schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.