Do I need an away?

Started by satdixon
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

satdixon

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying to IM this upcoming cycle, and go to a newer MD school in Florida. I wanted know if a rec letter from a VA that I rotated at would be good for academic IM programs or if I need to an away rotation
 
You don't NEED an away rotation for IM. If you have a reason to aim for a specific program, may be worth doing so, but otherwise it's a big risk (you might not be on top of your game as you get adjusted to a new environment/EHR/team culture) with limited reward
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In general, you don't need an away rotation to match into IM, and a letter from a VA is perfectly fine.
Is a Sub I letter required for IM? I will have a department letter, but may or not be able to get a sub I letter. My main focus was going to be Step 2
 
Is a Sub I letter required for IM? I will have a department letter, but may or not be able to get a sub I letter. My main focus was going to be Step 2
It certainly helps, but obviously it is known that not everyone can do a sub-I before ERAS opens. Obviously you'll want strong letters from your core clerkship
 
It certainly helps, but obviously it is known that not everyone can do a sub-I before ERAS opens. Obviously you'll want strong letters from your core clerkship
I will be able to get a strong letter from an outpatient IM doctor from my core IM rotation along with a strong letter from an IM subspeciality elective, in addition to the department letter. Do you think that would be adequate
 
I will be able to get a strong letter from an outpatient IM doctor from my core IM rotation along with a strong letter from an IM subspeciality elective, in addition to the department letter. Do you think that would be adequate
It would be good to have a letter from an inpatient rotation, preferably a general IM service or at least a high volume one (ie oncology).

But again, obviously not everyone can do it in time