Do I need an SMP? Can I get into one?

Bergamasque

2+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2018
    Hello,

I have cGPA of 3.08, sGPA is about the same (slightly higher). I have struggled with a wide array of mental disorders, including addiction, until I decided to go to college. I continue struggling, but learning, also an underrepresented minority (Hispanic) with low economic status.

-

Should I take SMP during my gap year? I am considering Drexel (DPSM), NYMC (IBMS), Georgetown (SMP), Tulane (ACP), Tufts (SMP).

I firmly believe that I need one given that I have failed two classes, and have about 12 Withdrawal's strewn around (Mostly coming from Fresh/Soph and 1st sem Senior Medical Withdrawal).

Last edited:

Kumorebi

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    2+ Year Member
    Silver Member
    Jun 21, 2017
    1. Medical Student
      Hello,

I have cGPA of 3.08, sGPA is about the same (slightly higher). I have struggled with a wide array of mental disorders, including addiction, until I decided to go to college. I continue struggling, but learning, also an underrepresented minority (Hispanic) with low economic status.

Fresh: 2.1 cGPA
      Soph : 2.9 cGPA
      Junior: 3.1 cGPA
      Senior: 3.54 cGPA (Fall sem I medically withdrew due to crisis)
      Year 5: 3.92 cGPA

MCAT: 515

Should I take SMP during my gap year? I am considering Drexel (DPSM), NYMC (IBMS), Georgetown (SMP), Tulane (ACP), Tufts (SMP).

I firmly believe that I need one given that I have failed two classes, and have about 12 Withdrawal's strewn around (Mostly coming from Fresh/Soph and 1st sem Junior Medical Withdrawal).
      SMP looks like a good idea. However given low SES and URM status along with upwards GPA trend and a 515 MCAT you might get some MD interviews if you applied (assuming you have all the ECs and other application activities done). That being said, applying after a 4.0 SMP would extremely bolster your application. You should look into applying now while applications are still open. Either that or do a DIY post-bac with upper level science classes would probably be alright too and save you some money.

Goro

10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Silver Member
      Gold Member
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        Hello,

Fresh: 2.1 cGPA
        Soph : 2.9 cGPA
        Junior: 3.1 cGPA
        Senior: 3.54 cGPA (Fall sem I medically withdrew due to crisis)
        Year 5: 3.92 cGPA

MCAT: 515

I firmly believe that I need one given that I have failed two classes, and have about 12 Withdrawal's strewn around (Mostly coming from Fresh/Soph and 1st sem Junior Medical Withdrawal).
        Yes, and yes. Your SR year is not enough data points for the new you.

Pick the SMP that has the least tuition, the shortest calendar, and the best sort of linkage. I've interviewed people from all five programs; I consider them the same.

Reactions: 3 users
        About the Ads

Bergamasque

2+ Year Member
        Feb 17, 2018

Pick the SMP that has the least tuition, the shortest calendar, and the best sort of linkage. I've interviewed people from all five programs; I consider them the same.
          Could I apply to the SMP in the same time frame as Medical Schools? OR would I need to apply to Medical School when my SMP ends, and therefore have a gap year in between Matriculation and the end of my SMP?

Last edited:

Goro

10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Silver Member
          Gold Member
          Jun 11, 2010
          1. Non-Student
            Could I apply to the SMP in the same time frame as Medical Schools? OR would I need to apply to Medical School when my SMP ends, and therefore have a gap year in between Matriculation and the end of my SMP?
            Ace the SMP and then apply. Med schools aren't going anywhere

Reactions: 1 user

Bergamasque

2+ Year Member
            Feb 17, 2018

Hi I am sorry for reviving this old thread, but I wanted to know if a DIY-Post Bacc would be sufficient? I would be applying to SMP this february and starting the next year (one gap-year) and then applying after finishing which is a total of two gap years and an SMP year (3 total years). If I were to do a DIY-Post Bacc, I could take just naother year where I would do research, volunteer, and apply this upcoming year (with 2 presumably successful years)

Goro

10+ Year Member
              Verified Expert
              Silver Member
              Gold Member
              Jun 11, 2010
              1. Non-Student
                Hi I am sorry for reviving this old thread, but I wanted to know if a DIY-Post Bacc would be sufficient? I would be applying to SMP this february and starting the next year (one gap-year) and then applying after finishing which is a total of two gap years and an SMP year (3 total years). If I were to do a DIY-Post Bacc, I could take just naother year where I would do research, volunteer, and apply this upcoming year (with 2 presumably successful years)
                A DIY post-bac is perfectly fine

Reactions: 1 user
                About the Ads
                This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                7. This thread is locked.