Do I need post bac/SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grapefruit1811

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a senior with an overall 3.2 GPA. I can get it up to 3.3 by the time i graduate. I have not taken the MCAT, but I am doing it next June (2016). I am planning to apply next cycle to med school (for Fall 2017).

The question is: should I consider post bac or SMP? or try my best to get a really good MCAT score?

If I do need post bac or SMP, can I still apply for med school in June 2016 cycle for Fall 2017 admission? How can they decide on my admission if I tell them I will be attending post bac or SMP in the fall?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your science GPA? Honestly, just based off of what I see here with that 3.2 GPA I would do DIY Post-bach and retake all courses with a C or worse, obviously starting with the lowest science grades. If you do well on your MCAT ~503< , then I think you have a really good shot at making it in.

Reactions: 1 user
The magic numbers that I feel net people a large amount of interviews are a 3.4 GPA and 502 MCAT or greater. You will have a decent shot for most DO schools with these number. However, this may change very soon.