Psychology Do I need research to apply to PsyD programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finished with my B.A. and looking to apply to PsyD programs. I have spent over 10 years in the military and not had any research opportunities, but was afforded the ability to work in a clinical setting with a domestic violence case oversight committee. Can strong clinical opportunities help overshadow the inability to get research experience? Does anyone have an idea if it's worth even attempting the applications without any research experience? Any vets that have taken this route from active to grad school?
You need research experience to get into any decent program. Do not go to any unfunded program, unless the military is paying for it, and even then, be very cautious:

Members don't see this ad.

I would agree with the above post that for any decent graduate program, it's a near-certainty you'll need research experience to be competitive. Clinical experience can be nice to see, but is generally of far lower importance than research experience. This may mean taking a year or two to volunteer part-time or work full-time in a psychology lab, and/or pursuing a non-terminal and research-focused masters program. You certainly can try applying, but unfortunately and in all honesty, I don't know that it would be the best use of your money and time.

An ancillary bonus of attending a funded program is that by having funding for its students, it goes further to ensure that the program has adequate resources more broadly for its trainees. In unfunded programs, there may be more variability in that regard.

Edit: I would add that I might also consider broadening your application pool to include balanced Ph.D. programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.